Carb boots... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Carb boots...

Had an issue with my 95 Vulcan running lean... checked for a vacuum leak via carb clean and the bike idled up automatically which tells me I have to replace the boots.... I havent torn into it yet, but I have the boots in the mail... is it possible to replace the boots one at a time without removing the carb completely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 01:09 PM

I’m gonna say it is possible but the headache it will cause will drive ya nuts. Taking the carbs out is no picnic either but it’ll just be easier with them off.

2007 Kawi ninja-sold
1990 Vulcan 750-sold
2001 Honda Sabre 1100-wrecked then sold
2013 Victory Highball
Ride on wolf
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! Ima see what I can do on Saturday with it. Was just hoping to avoid carb removal unless it was absolutely necessary.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:13 PM

Yep, may as well pull the carbs, it's a tight fit putting them back in, probably no room to tip the boots. (I leave the cables on)

Check the manual .... For carb removal, one boot stays with the carb, and one stays on the head. Forget which ones.

Can't imagine doing it with the airbox.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 09-28-2017 at 02:17 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

I am pretty sure the front cylinder boot gets put on the engine itself then the rear one is attached to the carb for re-insertion. Do you have to loosen the adjustment for the cables when you leave em on? Or just swear alot and wiggle em back in lmao
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler94 View Post
I am pretty sure the front cylinder boot gets put on the engine itself then the rear one is attached to the carb for re-insertion. Do you have to loosen the adjustment for the cables when you leave em on? Or just swear alot and wiggle em back in lmao
"swear a lot and wiggle" is spot on. I always just popped my carbs out of both boots, leaving them attached to the cylinders, but my bike is earshaved (airbox system removed in favor of individual pod filters on each carb) and it's still a PITA to get the carbs in and out.

Possible, yes. Favorable, no. Not a bad idea to clean 'em up really nicely while you have them out so you don't have to try and get 'em back out again anytime soon. It's like a right of passage for these bikes lol

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

This is by far the biggest PITA V-twin I have ever messed with, lol. The red truck in my picture was easier to do an engine swap than pull these damn carbs lol. I filled the carb bowls with carb cleaner (no varnish when they drained) and sprayed my butterflies down already. So I think the innards of the carbs are spot-on.

I do want to do the delete of the airbox. Not sure how to delete it and individually put airfilters on, though. Should i just tear the whole air cleaning system out?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:08 PM

Pull off the two airboxes on the sides of the bike (aka the "ears")
Disconnect all of the rubber things connected to the main airbox (aka the "surge tank")
Make a cut to remove the front portion of the surge tank (or at least to let it hinge upward so it can slide out the back)
Yank it up and out towards the rear of the bike, being careful of the coolant lines and wiring loom

Pic related might help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Tank Removal.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	41202  

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)

Last edited by ubertalldude; 09-28-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: I know it looks like a penis, no way around it
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Could you drop a link for the parts to individually put pod filters on the carbs?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Spockster and I run Uni PK-92 filters, a lot of people run the K&N RC-2340. You'll also need a crankcase breather filter for the crankcase vent tube at the front of the engine, and you can put another on the carb vent hose, but I just tucked it up into the main tube of the frame so it sits in dead air

Don't forget to order filter oil for whichever brand you pick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement