Broken pilot jet - screwpart still inside - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Broken pilot jet - screwpart still inside

I managed to get to the drain chambers and was able to clean one pilot jet properly. Whilst working on the other one, barely (I think) touching the pilot jet, it came off just like that. That is, it broke off.

The screwpart is still screwed in the carb, only the small 'pipe' part (first part) fell out.

What is wisdom? Take it to the garage and have them drill out the screwpart? Or try to spray carb cleaner and compressed air in the part still inside and hope for the best (idling on one carb :/ )?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 AM

definitely won't idle right on only one functional carb, you'll probably have to get an ez-out or left-hand drill bit on it to remove the threaded portion

Earshave+Rejet (38/135) NGK Iridiums MCCT Conversion Slipstreamer S03 Windshield Custom Extended Backrest Custom Highway Bars MOSFET R/R LED Underglow Volt+USB In-Dash Two-Wire & Blue-Wire Mod Satin Black Engine Paint Dampers Parts - Jets: Main=99101-393(#132 stock)/Pilot=n424-22 Pilot(#38 stock)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
If the screw portion is still intact, then why can't you simply unscrew it? Maybe a picture would help.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM

Left hand or reverse drill bit is probably the best bet if you can find one.

May not be able to find an EZ Out that small.

If there's any of the jet protruding beyond the carb body, you might use vise-grips, or cut a slot for a screwdriver. But it sounds like the jet must be cross-threaded, stuck with corrosion, or simply over-tightened. (just snug is all they need to be)

Otherwise, the whole jet will need to be drilled out without damaging the threads in the carb body. Might be a job for the machine shop.

Cleaning jets while they're still in the carb will just push dirt deeper into the carb passages.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks...

Yes, the ez-out might be hard to find that small, though there are some manual removal drills that may be smaller than the standard ones. Otherwise careful drilling might do the trick.

I've ordered a new pilot jet in the meantime. Somewhat confusing to know which one to order for my 1992. I've ordered 92064-1123 (#35), but there's also the option to select 92064-1118 for this model. Hopefully they both fit
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I thought the stock pilots were #38's....sorry I don't have the part number.

+1 on drilling the part out. Be real careful.... If you posted a photo it would help.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 08:27 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I thought the stock pilots were #38's....sorry I don't have the part number.

+1 on drilling the part out. Be real careful.... If you posted a photo it would help.
When I saw the #35, I thought it must be a number from a parts fiche. Then I just now decided to google those numbers. #35 and #38 are the actual jet sizes.

92064-1118 is shown as a #38, the correct stock pilot jet.

92064-1123 is shown as a #35, a much smaller pilot jet. It's going to be really lean and probably won't run right, or run hot.

Need to change that order maverikster.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

oh man... thanks for the heads up! I'll change the order right away.

When I get the chance I'll upload a pic of the current situation
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Here's a vague pic of the broken jet. You can see it's broken off at surface level. Wish I could try to take it out, but at the moment I've given up on removing the carbs completely from the bike. I can't seem to get the airducts out of the surge tank (pulled the surge tank as high as possible with strapbands; afraid any further and it will snap) and without it, there's not enough room to take the carbs out :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brokenjet.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	40497  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:48 AM

Garage
I've hauled pretty far up on mine several times, and it's no worse for the wear. For the ducts, you should be able to just smush the side that goes into the surge tank with your hands and pull them out that way. They should be soft rubber, so if they get bent out of shape a little, it should be ok. If they get deformed and don't restore themselves, they should probably be replaced anyway. Getting those air ducts out of the way and being pretty aggressive with lifting the surge tank should give you room enough to get the carbs out. I found getting them as high as possible between the cylinders was helpful, then being slow and methodical. Move them until something hits, then look at what hit, move to free whatever hit, continue until you slowly work them out. Be careful not to use brute force because aluminum is soft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement