How Much Seafoam? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)
 
How Much Seafoam?

Howdy Folks --

How much Seafoam do you put into the gas tank and how often do you use it?

Thanx!
FlaRider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 AM
Linkmeister Supreme
 
OlHossCanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,960
iTrader: (8)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Howdy Folks --

How much Seafoam do you put into the gas tank and how often do you use it?

Thanx!
I just bought my first can a month or two ago, but will share what I can. A 473ml can (16 oz) says it will treat 30-95 liters of fuel (approx 8-25 US gallons). The vn750 tank holds ~3 gallons, so 8 fills is close to 25 gals. 2 oz per tankfull then, is about what seafoam recommends as a minimum concentration.

A lot depends on exactly why you are using it, I believe. If your bike is relatively new with no fuel issues, and ridden regularly, you may choose to only treat every 4th or 5th tankful simply as a preventative measure against varnish and gum accumulating in the fuel system.

If the bike is experiencing fuel issues and needs to be cleaned out or is going to be stored through the winter without riding for several months you might want to pour in another ounce or two. Then start it and run the engine for several minutes to get the stronger concentration well into the carbs and cylinders before shutting it down.

(I know this is not applicable to you FlaRider, you lucky son of a gun, but some of us can`t ride every day of the year!)

This is how I understand many members may use seafoam. Others may offer slightly different regimens that they employ. Enjoy the ride. OlHoss

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15


TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
OlHossCanada is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 96
iTrader: (0)
 
its usually suggested to use about 1/4 of a can or a little less so 3-4 ounces. i use around 1/4th of a can and it's fine. you won't kill the bike by running a little too much or a little too less...no need for a measuring cup. i havent experimented with a WHOLE can but i've definitely let my mind wander for a second while pouring and gotten over half the can in with no negative effects. just do 1/5-1/4 of a can and you'll be good. good luck!
drguitarum2005 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Scootergptx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 802
iTrader: (6)
 
It's not a scientific method, but I usually just count to 3 when I pour it in.

I guess it's a good thing the tanks aren't bigger on these bikes.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
Scootergptx is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 491
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I just bought my first can a month or two ago, but will share what I can. A 473ml can (16 oz) says it will treat 30-95 liters of fuel (approx 8-25 US gallons). The vn750 tank holds ~3 gallons, so 8 fills is close to 25 gals. 2 oz per tankfull then, is about what seafoam recommends as a minimum concentration.

A lot depends on exactly why you are using it, I believe. If your bike is relatively new with no fuel issues, and ridden regularly, you may choose to only treat every 4th or 5th tankful simply as a preventative measure against varnish and gum accumulating in the fuel system.

If the bike is experiencing fuel issues and needs to be cleaned out or is going to be stored through the winter without riding for several months you might want to pour in another ounce or two. Then start it and run the engine for several minutes to get the stronger concentration well into the carbs and cylinders before shutting it down.

(I know this is not applicable to you FlaRider, you lucky son of a gun, but some of us can`t ride every day of the year!)

This is how I understand many members may use seafoam. Others may offer slightly different regimens that they employ. Enjoy the ride. OlHoss
OlHoss, Drguitarum, Scootergptx --

Thanx for taking the time to reply! I value each new bit of Vulcan Wisdon!

P.S. (For Star Trek fans) I'd luv to do a Vulcan "Mind-Meld" with each of you veteran vulcan jockeys.
FlaRider is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Late to the party
 
jabarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)
 
I usually pour in a shot class full per fill up. I put in about 1/4 1/2 can for winter storage. Pure guesswork in my case.

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

jabarry is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Linkmeister Supreme
 
OlHossCanada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,960
iTrader: (8)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabarry View Post
I usually pour in a shot class full per fill up. I put in about 1/4 1/2 can for winter storage. Pure guesswork in my case.
We had a couple of dozen 1 oz plastic cups designed for measuring liquid medicines. I use 1 for weed killers when spraying the lawn, and now for Seafoam too. Keep it with chemicals away from little eyes and hands, and put a big black X with a felt pen or paint so no one drinks from it. Not nearly as classy as jabarry`s shot glass, but it does the job.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15


TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
OlHossCanada is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Late to the party
 
jabarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 321
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
We had a couple of dozen 1 oz plastic cups designed for measuring liquid medicines. I use 1 for weed killers when spraying the lawn, and now for Seafoam too. Keep it with chemicals away from little eyes and hands, and put a big black X with a felt pen or paint so no one drinks from it. Not nearly as classy as jabarry`s shot glass, but it does the job.
Too bad they don't make a shot glass with the vulcan logon on it. Now that would be classy. ... and make it distinct from the shot glass I use for my own personal fluid preservative and gum out. (Note: only used AFTER rides)

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery


Last edited by jabarry; 01-14-2009 at 05:22 PM.
jabarry is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
750Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,850
iTrader: (10)
   
I do similar to the way Scooter does it...
750Doug is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
flitecontrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Monroe, LA
Posts: 4,699
iTrader: (14)
 
I used a clean, dry, 16 oz. water bottle. Put 3 oz. in it, marked the level with permanent marker, wrote Sea Foam on it, put Sea Foam in tank, replaced the water bottle cap and put it with the Sea Foam container. It's easy to add to the tank without spilling, the bottle stays clean, I don't waste any left in the bottle, and I know how high to fill it.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!
_____________________________________________
"Black Beauty"
1989 VN750 acquired December, 2008, 6,711 miles
Currently 23,298 miles

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
flitecontrol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome