From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

3Likes
  • 2 Post By michiganteddybear
  • 1 Post By cglennon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Gas cap problems

My key won't turn my gas cap. Any recommendations on how to get that free? Also how far down does the key go before it can turn?

Blessings!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:17 PM

Maybe shoot a little bit of spray lube down into the mechanism. It doesn't go in very far, just enough to hide the ridges in the key
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

key goes 1/2 or slightly farther (not as far as ign).

if the lock cylinder starts to turn (tumblers in correct position), the problem is not the lock itself, but the latching mechanism. if not turning, the lock is the issue.

Lock issue. as stated already, some lube may help. use a good penetrant if you can. once you get it open, continue to the next step.

latch issue. ok, this is the biatch to fix.. as you have to get the damn cap open in order to fix it. once you get it open, remove cap (2 screws, dont loose o-rings). disassemble the latch assembly. once the latch assy is off the lock cylinder, there is a metal plate that needs to be removed, should be fairly easy to remove. under that metal plate is the problem. the gas/ethanol fumes cause corrrosion in the sliding part of the latch and the groove it rides in. remove it all, clean it up, a little grease of some sort and reassemble. While the cap is disassembled, now is a good time to also clean and lubicate the lock mechanism. use graphite lock lube for the this, after cleaning it out with the cleaner of choice.

wow, a run run run run run on paragraph.. well its early and I am not yet awake.

I just had to do the latch on mine (on monday in fact). I was lucky enough to get my key out while lock cylinder was in a position where tumblers where still correct (dont ask, it took some doing). I stuck a 3/16 (I think,might have been a little bigger) flat screwdriver into the lock, and with the added leverage that gave me, I was able to open the cap. YMMV
mrseedsower and Thorn like this.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
The cap is also under pressure from a series of small springs that push the gasket tight to the tank. The key will turn easier if you push down on the top of the cap while turning the key.
Thorn likes this.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

my bike has sat in the rain for over a year and that is the failure of the lock. I have been putting some pb blaster in the key hole every once in a while to loosening it up.

Can someone send me a picture of how far that key goes in before it can turn the lock. I am not sure the key is going down far enough.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard

Last edited by mrseedsower; 05-27-2017 at 10:23 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 10:15 AM

Garage
Use pb blaster then use graphite power the problem with liquid type lubricants is they attract dust and grime causing the locking mechanisim to stick! The graphite is a dry lubricant and i guarantee it will keep it from sticking
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Got it open. I know people pick on me for praying over my bike, but every time I pray over it when I am stuck I get a answer. But I was getting no where fast. I used PB Blaster several times but still wasn't turning so I prayed and got a vision of hitting the rim of the lock with a special wide hammer I use in doing body work, so I tried it. Sure enough it loosened the lock.

I then did what was suggested by pressing on the cap and turning the lock. Finally unlocked. I cleaned it thoroughly and sanded down the latch on both sides and lubed it. Much easier unlocking now.

So thank you for your help. Now to do the POOG in cast that is clogged and get the dry lube to keep it lubed.

Blessings!
Richard

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I will never pick on you for prayer. you may not believe that I'm a religious man myself

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 09:28 PM

Garage
What ever works even if its a little jesus power!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement