LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

carburetor rebuild kit

Where can i find a rebuild kit for 2005 - 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Addicted to Projects

As I understand it there isn't a kit for the 7xx. Parts and pieces need to be purchased separately. What needs replaced?

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!

A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

BW is correct, there is no kit. You need to find a parts diagram, and order each part you need individually. BikeBandit.com and RonAyers.com both have online parts look-up.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Kawika

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle View Post
As I understand it there isn't a kit for the 7xx. Parts and pieces need to be purchased separately. What needs replaced?
I second Bullwinkle's question: What needs to be replaced?

Myself, I'm thinking:
gaskets
o-rings
float needle

possibly:
jets (this is a must for me as I want to go up in size with my cruzer pipes - any suggested sizes?)
fuel line
vac line
some extra hose clamps
replacement screws from the hardware store (the stock heads are too soft and strip out easy and cost about $2 each)
4 small hairpins from the hardware store (these are pricey from the dealer too)

Probably need a couple more items that I'm missing yet, as I put together my list of things to order.

If someone else has done it recently, maybe they can step in and add any other parts needed.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

just basic parts i am guessing...

o-rings, gaskets? i have good vacuum lines. just looking for internal stuff that might need to be replaced.
background on this:
bike was running tip top.
started sputtering, cutting out....
took carb apart to clean out some rust. being careful to not mess with any of the adjustments.
cleaned all parts with carb cleaner stuff
put back together and put it back on bike.
now it starts but when i give it ANY throttle it imediately dies. i have made sure that it is pulling a vacuum and that fuel/air is flowing into carbs.
so now i am looking into doing a rebuild on the carbs to see if that helps.
i have looked and see a lot of parts for the internals. but i didn't want to buy a bunch of unnecessary parts that aren't worn out and really dont need to be replaced.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Addicted to Projects

Wheather or not you do a carb job, did the rust come from the tank? If it did I would start by removing the fuel and treating the tank. Making sure that after you replace everything you can think of in the carb you don't end up having to take the carb out again to clean up sediment from the tank. I would also run in-line filters just to be safe.
Personally I would pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning. Pull the tank and see how much rust is in there, maybe pull the petcock and make sure the strainer is in good shape, put an in-line filter on each carb supply and go from there.
Just my opinion, The opinion and $3.50 will get you a cup of coffe at Starbucks!
Charlie

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!

A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicpics View Post
but i didn't want to buy a bunch of unnecessary parts that aren't worn out and really dont need to be replaced.
Then take the carbs all the way apart and inspect everything carefully, figure out what you need and then order it....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Kawika

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
Then take the carbs all the way apart and inspect everything carefully, figure out what you need and then order it....
yep, that's what I did yesterday and it seems to be the best way....ordered the o-rings from ron ayer's, the new jets from motorcyclecarbs.com and new float needles and 1 air cut-off valve from old bike barn. It is an expensive carb for replacement parts!

I found one of the fuel lines had a tear in it, when flexing it during inspection....almost missed that! so I will pickup new lines today...5/16" fuel line, I think.

LETS RIDE!! VROC# 26137
☠ Black Candy ☠ '07 Mean Streak 1600
☠ Blue Crush ☠ '95 VN750-A11

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

i did have the tank cleaned

i had a radiator shop clean the tank, then i tore down the petcock and cleaned it all up and the filters. then i took the carb apart and removed the floats, jets. cleaned out all the rust from them. then i used carb cleaner and sprayed out the rest of the parts that i could get to. at that point i put it all back together without replacing any of the o-rings, floats, jets...
when i got it all back together, plugged in the fuel and vacuum lines, put in some clean fuel. i cranked it till it started. it idles just fine then about 2-3 minutes into idling it died. started it right back up and tried to open up the throttle and it died immediately. kept messing with it but no matter what it always dies. went back to letting it idle to make sure that the vacuum lines were pulling air. i then checked the drain screws on the carb to make sure that plenty of fuel was comming out. i built one of the home made mamometers to make sure that both side of the vacuum was pulling correctly. it is off with one side pulling about 1/2 inch more vacuum. i figure that is pretty close. (may be wrong about it being close enough) i figure that maybe by opening up the carb and spraying carb cleaner in it i might have mess up one or more of the seals but supposedly that stuff is ok to use. (maybe not).
so that is why i want to see about putting in new o-rings and maybe other parts. its the other parts that i am concerned with.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 PM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hicpics View Post
i had a radiator shop clean the tank, then i tore down the petcock and cleaned it all up and the filters. then i took the carb apart and removed the floats, jets. cleaned out all the rust from them. then i used carb cleaner and sprayed out the rest of the parts that i could get to. at that point i put it all back together without replacing any of the o-rings, floats, jets...
when i got it all back together, plugged in the fuel and vacuum lines, put in some clean fuel. i cranked it till it started. it idles just fine then about 2-3 minutes into idling it died. started it right back up and tried to open up the throttle and it died immediately. kept messing with it but no matter what it always dies. went back to letting it idle to make sure that the vacuum lines were pulling air. i then checked the drain screws on the carb to make sure that plenty of fuel was comming out. i built one of the home made mamometers to make sure that both side of the vacuum was pulling correctly. it is off with one side pulling about 1/2 inch more vacuum. i figure that is pretty close. (may be wrong about it being close enough) i figure that maybe by opening up the carb and spraying carb cleaner in it i might have mess up one or more of the seals but supposedly that stuff is ok to use. (maybe not).
so that is why i want to see about putting in new o-rings and maybe other parts. its the other parts that i am concerned with.
Have you checked the carb fuel vent hose?

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS