Back to the project - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects
 
bullwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 545
iTrader: (1)
 
Back to the project

Finally got the wall tent workshop expanded from last year (12X12 to 12X24!). Got the heat situation figgured out (burning used oil).

OK Now getting back to the project VN700. Made sure everything was put back together correctly. Changed out spark plugs and fluids. Hit the starterthe bike fired and started, well it ran on the rear. Nothing on the front again. I have 12.3 v on both coils, spark on all four plugs, compression of 120 both front and rear and when I pull the plugs they are wet with fuel. After the first half start I can't get it to start again. She is making some strange noises while she is turning over, kind of like a cow in heat. I am at a total loss as to what the heck is going on now. HELP Please, any ideas are welcomed, cause I don't know where to go from here.

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!


A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
bullwinkle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
750Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,850
iTrader: (10)
   
Crap shoot here while considering things....rule out the easy obvious stuff.....

Are the front plugs good? Do they work?

It is possible to have dead/non firing plugs....or have compression snuff out the flame of it's weak.

Also, do you have another thread around here detailing anything about this problem?

(just want to study up to try and help ya get somewhere )
750Doug is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
750Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,850
iTrader: (10)
   
Plugs wouldn't make a funny noise though.

Is the timing right? Did you pull an ACCT for some reason and possibly change the timing?

Compression, fuel, spark, air, correct timing. That's what's needed for an engine to run.

Obviously one cylinder is missing at least one of those.

Wet plugs is alot of fuel. Too much fuel going in, not getting burnt...

Still thinking....
750Doug is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Calif Rider
 
weh44att's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Petaluma Calif
Posts: 725
iTrader: (0)
 
Carburater could be just flooding the front spark plugs. To much fuel is just as bad as to little fuel. Checking the plugs did you pull the plugs and then reconnect the spark wire and then ground plug to watch for a good sparkat the end of the plug. This is as you are trying to start the bike.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80

Last edited by weh44att; 11-10-2008 at 11:32 AM.
weh44att is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects
 
bullwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 545
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
Crap shoot here while considering things....rule out the easy obvious stuff.....

Are the front plugs good? Do they work?

It is possible to have dead/non firing plugs....or have compression snuff out the flame of it's weak.

Also, do you have another thread around here detailing anything about this problem?

(just want to study up to try and help ya get somewhere )

Hey a crap shoot is what I'm looking for, cause I only have crap left!
Front plugs brand new, Nice blue spark.

Problem has been around since the spring when I stopped working on the 700 because I was enlarging the "Motorcycle House" (as my kids call it). I would get the bike to run but only on the rear pump, Front would fire but only a little. Never has run right, purchased as a non running project bike, have never heard it run correct.

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!


A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
bullwinkle is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects
 
bullwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 545
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
Plugs wouldn't make a funny noise though.

Is the timing right? Did you pull an ACCT for some reason and possibly change the timing?

Compression, fuel, spark, air, correct timing. That's what's needed for an engine to run.

Obviously one cylinder is missing at least one of those.

Wet plugs is alot of fuel. Too much fuel going in, not getting burnt...

Still thinking....
Did not pull the ACCT. Did engine pull last winter to fix dampners going to crap on me, balancer chewing up crankcase (repaired with JB Weld, seems to be holding so far).

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!


A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
bullwinkle is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects
 
bullwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 545
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by weh44att View Post
Carburater could be just flooding the front spark plugs. To much fuel is just as bad as to little fuel. Checking the plugs did you pull the plugs and then reconnect the spark wire and then ground plug to watch for a good sparkat the end of the plug. This is as you are trying to start the bike.
Yes, plug pulled, connected wire, plug grounded to engine, nice fat blue spark.

Carbs still have the plugs in them, how do I adjust for too much fuel?

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!


A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
bullwinkle is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
750Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,850
iTrader: (10)
   
So there's no chance of the timing being off even just one tooth on that cylinder? (though you say you bought the bike like this right? maybe the PO did something)

I remember when Crobins was fixing one of her engines there was some discussion about getting the timing mark just right-perfect-and because of it's appearance, it wouldn't be hard to get it just a little off. (this is a months old thread I'm trying to recall)

According to what you posted it's got compression to the valve timing is right, but the ignition timing sounds like it needs to be checked...but that's not adjustable either....

You might try doing some research/question asking at the Yahoo Group. I understand there's some goof info and knowledge over there, though I've never been.

Last edited by 750Doug; 11-10-2008 at 02:58 PM.
750Doug is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Addicted to Projects
 
bullwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 545
iTrader: (1)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Doug View Post
So there's no chance of the timing being off even just one tooth on that cylinder? (though you say you bought the bike like this right? maybe the PO did something)

I remember when Crobins was fixing one of her engines there was some discussion about getting the timing mark just right-perfect-and because of it's appearance, it wouldn't be hard to get it just a little off. (this is a months old thread I'm trying to recall)

According to what you posted it's got compression to the valve timing is right, but the ignition timing sounds like it needs to be checked...but that's not adjustable either....
Didn't say there wasn't a chance of anything. Haven't had the bike running correct, so it could be just that anything!
Now the million dollar question... Is there an easy way to check the timing on each cylinder individually? or am I looking an another engine pull?

Charlie
VN700 project bike 98% completed!!
68 Bushwhacker this winters project (in the works)
86 Honda GL1200i (winter project #2)
82 kz440 daily rider for now!


A few clowns short of a circus now aren't we?
bullwinkle is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
750Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 2,850
iTrader: (10)
   
Don't know personally, I haven't been down that road myself on this bike. (yet)

Hopefully/maybe somebody will post up something on it soon...
750Doug is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome