Gas in the oil, and a new petcock. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spockster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Gas in the oil, and a new petcock.

So i'm, guessing my floats, and/or needles are stuck, but im also having petcock issues, in that it hasnt been maintained or replaced since the bike rolled off the lot. So i just ordered a new one, described as such:
Quote:
New Replacement Fuel Petcock Valve for Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Motorcycles.
Vacuum Actuated petcock: Direct OEM Replacement
Prime/On/Reserve Settings.
Fits:
years 1988-2006
However the item i received is CERTAINLY not the part that is on my bike, but i hear tell around these parts that there may be a few alternates that are relatively if not wholly compatible, and i was hoping this might be the case if only to bide my time until a true replacement is found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170125_220413.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	35250   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170125_220325.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	35258  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:11 AM

If that petcock will mount and seal to the tank, it should work. Should also do away with the vacuum line, since I don't see a vac port.

The gas in the oil could easily be from the old petcock leaking through the vacuum line.
lVluffin likes this.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I assume the vacuum line is the one hooked into the right side of the petcock, that runs to a T between the carbs? im having a hard time finding a straight answer online. and is zip-tying the tube closed a sufficient doing away with? or should i find a proper plug/seal what ever that may be?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:24 PM

No, the hoses with the tee are the carb vents, those need to be open but sheltered from wind, so the one end plugs into a hole in the back of either ear (if not earshaved). Wind on the vent makes the engine bog. Cut end at 45 so it can't get blocked shut against the ear.

Center port on the stock petcock is the vacuum port. That connects to a port on the side of the front carb, left side.

Ziptie won't do it, need a vacuum cap or cut a piece of hose and stick a bolt in it.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Ok, ears are definitely shaved, so I was wrong I'm sorry, the T split hose goes up under the tank and connects to the hub on the bottom. Both the black hoses that plug into the back of the petcock had gas in them when I pulled them off, and the one in the center, the brass fitting that meets the brass fitting on the carb, is the vaccuum line? Not sure that the new carb has appropriate ports still, it looks like a vacuum line and a fuel line, since the ports are different.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Petcock fits though, dosent leak on or reset, and flows freely on prime, just not sure if the fuel/vac lines are compatible
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:04 PM

yes, you're right. You've got a vacuum petcock with a single fuel line. The port at the bottom in your first pic is the vacuum port. So you can't plug the vac line.

There's a chance it may work with a tee on the fuel line, but I can't be sure. Some have used a tee with the PW petcocks. As long as it gets enough flow.

Did you notice gas in the vacuum line?

2003-21k mi

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

yes definitely, and i'll be replacing it with a clear tube so i can keep an eye on it. Looks like i'll be rigging a tee and see if that will work, at least until i hear back from the seller/return. I'll keep you posted, thanks a lot for the help. hopefully this will help the engine, its been really hating first gear. Hopefully i may be able to avoid a full carb pull, but we'll see. may still need a jet/float clear, but hopefully this fixes the gas leaking issue at least.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Alright, it's a no go. Got it to idle beautifully for several minutes after a few fuel line configurations, and took it out for a test drive, promptly burned all the fuel from my carbs and killed it. Soo looks like I'm looking for the tw200. I may get out there and try some more line configurations while it's shipping. Damn fluid dynamics.

Update edit: TW200 still running perfectly, even squeezed a fuel filter in there just for insurance. after a day of remembering to cut your fuel just before you kill it to clear some room, you'll never forget to turn it off, it just becomes part of how you turn on/off your bike.

Last edited by lVluffin; 02-17-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement