1993 vn750 good crank, wont start - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hexadecimus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

1993 vn750 good crank, wont start

Hi !

So I've left my vn750 outside under the covers for three months with the battery sitting on a battery tender inside. After I but the battery back into place and start the bike. It cranks like a monster but doesn't catch. Now granted I made a newbie mistake with leaving fuel inside. My best guess is that the carbs are flooded because I do feel a crank inside the engine block. My question is how do I drain the tank and carb properly? I'd want to fill the tank with fresh gasoline and then try again. Any and all comments are appreciated !

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Alpha Geek

You may have plugged the pilot circuit with varnish or crud, or something could be sticking the floats and flooding. Probably the former rather than the latter. To confirm or rule out flooding, check the float bowl levels or pull spark plugs to look for wet gas.

Tank: apply suction to the vac hose or take off the petcock (2 large screws).
Carbs: put a tube on the smooth nipple on the bottom of the carb and open the drain screw which points out to the side. Download the manual if you can't find them.

Use plenty of Seafoam. If this doesn't fix it, nor does sitting with Seafoam in them, you may have to pull the carbs to clean them properly. Sometimes you can get just the jet chamber covers off for a partial cleaning.
Paulywog likes this.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexadecimus View Post
You may have plugged the pilot circuit with varnish or crud, or something could be sticking the floats and flooding. Probably the former rather than the latter. To confirm or rule out flooding, check the float bowl levels or pull spark plugs to look for wet gas.

Tank: apply suction to the vac hose or take off the petcock (2 large screws).
Carbs: put a tube on the smooth nipple on the bottom of the carb and open the drain screw which points out to the side. Download the manual if you can't find them.

Use plenty of Seafoam. If this doesn't fix it, nor does sitting with Seafoam in them, you may have to pull the carbs to clean them properly. Sometimes you can get just the jet chamber covers off for a partial cleaning.

I started off simple and just got a bottle of seafoam and poured 3/4ths into the gas tank. After a few days and a few seconds of hesitation she starts up well with some hiccups. I'm guessing that's from all the gunk build up. I rode around for about 45 mins and she seems to calm down.

Thank You !

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:42 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Seafoam will actually seem to run better but when it burns off you may see it crappin out again. If that happens then you may do the pick up coil mod.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:06 AM
1985 VN-700

Wont start

My 86 has a bad ignition switch. It cranks until it won't crank no more. And remember these things need at least 10 volts to fire the ignition, so that does not give you much cranking time. I too was chasing fuel issues, charging issues, etc. Until one day I started it and it shut off. Hmm, started up, riding and it started bucking and cutting out. Got it home, went to start it. crank, crank, nothing. Charged it, nothing. Wiggled the key out of frustration. Broom started right up. Again in a no start, wiggle the key and it fired. I do not know if its an age thing, bad switch, leaving it out in the rain. But that seems to be my problem with mine. Just a thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement