Leaking Gas from Carbs - Multiple Issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Leaking Gas from Carbs - Multiple Issues

Hey Guys,
Been searching around a lot on this site and thought it might be best to just post some pics and ask. First off, I have a 1985 VN700A, so it may be a slightly bit different. My bike was leaking gas from around the location of the air cut-off diaphragm on the left side of the bike. I'm not sure if this was the only place but I know it was from at least there.

Now, I don't believe this should be possible as gas shouldn't get past the petcock into the carbs as there shouldn't be a vacuum right? So there's likely a problem with that. I have a Res, On, and Pri on my petcock and if I open the drain valve in any of the 3 spots gas will just come out non-stop.

Also, I opened up where it was leaking and saw that the diaphragm seemed pretty shot. It felt more like paper than rubber and when I looked behind the diaphragm the rubber was all cracked and pretty shot. The one on the right side of the bike looked and felt great (pics attached for comparison.) Also, the left side was pretty dirty while the right was pretty clean. You can see in the one pic of the caps, the one on the left was after I had already cleaned it a bit! I didn't touch the right side.

So I'm looking for some feedback, what do you think I should do? I've already drained most of the gas so I'm thinking that removing the tank and pulling the carbs is probably in order. Seeing how gunked the air shut off area is the rest of that carb is probably pretty bad. Should I also look into taking apart the petcock? If gas is flowing freely something probably needs replacing there, just not sure what. Should I try to rebuild it? Can it be replaced? I took the bike out for a ride before it started leaking bad and it honestly ran like a top.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CutOff Tops.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	34681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side CutOff.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	34689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Side CutOff.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	34697  

1985 VN700 - ~5800 miles
-Plexifairing Windshield
-Leather Saddlebags & Front fork tool bag
-Engine Guard
-NGK Iridium Plugs / NGK Plug ends / New plug wire
-AGM Battery
-Kuryakyn ISO style Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:10 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
the petcock shouldn't work on" off"period."on" should flow only with vacuum and" pri" is to prime the carbs if they run dry,so that is always on.as for the leak,try replacing the diaphragm

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mine doesn't have an off, just RES, ON and PRI and when I opened the drain valve on the bottom of the carb gas ran free in any setting.

I'm definitely going to get the air shut off diaphragm, already found one on ebay around $21. Would the petcock diaphragm cause the gas to flow freely if it was bad? Looks like the seal kits are pretty inexpensive: Petcock Repair Kit

I'll probably open the petcock up when I get home to see what it looks like either way.

1985 VN700 - ~5800 miles
-Plexifairing Windshield
-Engine Guard
-AGM Battery

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:47 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
ok res and on should only flow with vacuum. pri flows all the time.and yes a bad petcock gasket would make the petcock flow all the time

sportster seat

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 02:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The needle valve in your carb should cut the flow of gas into the carb (except of course if you have the drain screws open)
So yes, make sure the petcock doesn't flow fuel in the ON or RES position...PRI it should.
Then clean the carbs and make sure the the needle valve in the float bowl is working.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 03:03 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
can use a Yamaha tw200 petcock.it's not vacuum operated so would need to plug the vacuum opening. get the OEM one,not the Chinese knock off,as they are crap

sportster seat

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The needle valve in your carb should cut the flow of gas into the carb (except of course if you have the drain screws open)
So yes, make sure the petcock doesn't flow fuel in the ON or RES position...PRI it should.
Then clean the carbs and make sure the the needle valve in the float bowl is working.
Ahh so having the drains open would make gas flow? How would I test if gas was getting into the carbs without the drains open, I do not have clear lines. Sorry I'm pretty new to all of this and learning as I go.

Thanks for the tip on the petcock OleDirtyDoc, I'll take a look at the gasket on mine when I get home.

1985 VN700 - ~5800 miles
-Plexifairing Windshield
-Engine Guard
-AGM Battery
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:12 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
can use a Yamaha tw200 petcock.it's not vacuum operated so would need to plug the vacuum opening. get the OEM one,not the Chinese knock off,as they are crap

X2 on the tw200. Works great and simplifies things a bit.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfree View Post
Ahh so having the drains open would make gas flow? How would I test if gas was getting into the carbs without the drains open, I do not have clear lines. Sorry I'm pretty new to all of this and learning as I go.

Thanks for the tip on the petcock OleDirtyDoc, I'll take a look at the gasket on mine when I get home.
If the drain screw is open under the carbs the float bowl won't fill up...the needle valve attached to the floats won't be able to seal....this of course should only happen when the petcock is in the PRI position. When set to RES or ON, fuel should not flow into the carb (This of course all being done with the bike NOT running)
Once you start the bike, engine vacuum opens the diaphragm in the petcock and lets fuel flow to the carbs.

If fuel is overflowing your carbs WHEN THE MOTOR IS NOT RUNNING, you have two problems...
1. The petcock diaphragm is not shutting off the fuel as it should
2. The needle valve(s) in the fuel bowls are not sealing either.

To test the petcock...just pull the hoses off the petcock (make note where each goes) if fuel is leaking out (In RES or ON) your petcock is bad. If you turn it to PRI...fuel should flow.
If the petcock seems to be working, then you need to clean or replace the needle valves in the carbs...
That help?
Thorn likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
If the drain screw is open under the carbs the float bowl won't fill up...the needle valve attached to the floats won't be able to seal....this of course should only happen when the petcock is in the PRI position. When set to RES or ON, fuel should not flow into the carb (This of course all being done with the bike NOT running)
Once you start the bike, engine vacuum opens the diaphragm in the petcock and lets fuel flow to the carbs.

If fuel is overflowing your carbs WHEN THE MOTOR IS NOT RUNNING, you have two problems...
1. The petcock diaphragm is not shutting off the fuel as it should
2. The needle valve(s) in the fuel bowls are not sealing either.

To test the petcock...just pull the hoses off the petcock (make note where each goes) if fuel is leaking out (In RES or ON) your petcock is bad. If you turn it to PRI...fuel should flow.
If the petcock seems to be working, then you need to clean or replace the needle valves in the carbs...
That help?
Very much so! Thanks! New to working on bikes and would rather learn it myself than pay someone to do it. Replaced all my plugs and wires last year thanks to everyone here.

I wasn't able to tear into it at all last night, slipped my mind that it was Halloween so the lady had my handing out candy to the kiddies that come by.

From the sounds of it, the problems are definitely starting with the petcock. When I opened up the drain at the bottom of the carbs I was able to empty fuel non stop no matter what setting the petcock is in. Then I'm assuming since the petcock was shot and the lovely ethanol gas was sitting in the carb, it turned the air cut off diaphragm in the left side (since the bike leans that way when on the stand) to a cracked piece of crap that resembled paper instead of rubber causing the leak.

So sounds like some petcock work and replacing that cut-off valve diaphragm for sure. Going to start using the non-ethanol gas at the station near my new house, costs more but for the size of the tank won't barely notice it.

Thanks all, will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement