Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Question ever run out of gas?

I never have. But I almost did today. Cruising through the country roads of SW Ohio, I got lost. (It's a long story.) In any case, by the time I found a gas station, the needle on my gas guage was well below the red line, and I had the tank on reserve. When I filled up, I put 3.056 gallons in.

I can't remember what the capacity of our gas tank is. But I would be interested to hear any stories about running out of gas or almost running out of gas. And how far can we really go when the needle's well below E?!

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM

First week I had the bike, I ran it out to see what the mileage would be. 132 miles. Good to know. But ask me why I ran out again.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Love My Baby

Hi EasyRector. You used 3.056 gallons, and our tank capacity is 3.566 Gallons (US, 13.5 liters). So you were down to 1/2 gallon remaining in your tank. Note your gas mileage so you can even better estimate how many miles you can go before you HAVE to get gas. The most I've gotten in gas mileage was 52 mpg with straight highway driving. I ran it for 192 miles and put in 3.5 gallons exactly. I had little choice because there weren't any gas stations around for quite a while, and I had refused to stop at a Citgo station because I hate to give my money to Hugo Chavez. I got lucky and there was a Sunoco station less than a mile away.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 PM
85 VN 700

hehe.... I got it down to 3.26 gallons the other day. At least for my bike - that's pretty much the limit. Actually stalled out (while on prime) and had to sit with the bike tilted to the left on prime for a minute or two - then straight to the gas station ;-)

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I have only run out of gas one time in my life, and that was years back riding my TS 185 Suzuki.

I was coming down a hill and the bike sputtered and started to die, I reached to switch it to "reserve", but found it was already in the "reserve" position.

I pulled in the clutch and coasted down the hill. There was a gas station on the corner, but I had to get through the intersection to get to it, and the light was red.

I slowed down enough to pisss the cars off behind me, but managed to get to the cross street just as the light turned green. I coasted right up to a pump and stopped.

A guy filling his car up next to me that watched me pull in turned and said that I had the quietest bike he had ever seen.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Giggity!

Garage
I've found that running low on gas has one other risk. Where the fuel petcock is located & where the fuel is on a hill can be a bad mix. Alteast till you get to the other side! =)
Personal experiance. =(
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 08:48 PM
1990 Fixer Upper

I ran out of gas a few weeks after I got my bike. I was so mad at myself for letting it happen. I got off of my bike and walked around it a few times and then remembered I turn the fuel off the night before.

1990 VN750
Mustang Seat
Work in Progress
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djonze View Post
I ran out of gas a few weeks after I got my bike. I was so mad at myself for letting it happen. I got off of my bike and walked around it a few times and then remembered I turn the fuel off the night before.
Sounds like you need one of these stickers like I used to have displayed right under my ignition switch :

http://tinyurl.com/5tmjes

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Vintage bike addict

Used to run out occasionally. I looked pretty stupid hitch hiking with the gas tank. At least no one was inclined to steal a bike without a tank on it.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonze View Post
I've done that on the quad before. Made it out on the trail and it died. Had just filled up the tank with gas, so that was what I suspected was wrong. 10 minutes of choice words for Shell, then I see I hadn't switched it back on.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement