Vacuum leak from carb boot - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Vacuum leak from carb boot

I have a definite vacuum leak from both sides of the carb boots, on the bottom of the cylinder head side.... It's incredibly frustrating, I've aligned the boots perfectly, and the carbs are in there perfectly, and clamps are tightend all the way down. That being said what chance of it being a clamp issue? Has anyone had to replace the clamps on the boots? I've also inspected the boots them self and everything is in good shape, no cracks. Thanks in advance! This forum has been incredibly helpful so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bump, update. I replaced the carb boots with brand oem new ones and tried to reinstall the carb, I went to start and it had a vacuum leak from the same exact spot? I started the bottom of the boot and it spiked in idle, I'm at a loss here and willing to try anything, if anyone could please help that would be great!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:29 AM

Garage
Is there a rough spot on the carb itself? Perhaps casting seam or something that could be smoothed down with a file?
If not, you could remove the boot and run a very thin bead of RTV around the carb end of the connection before putting the boot back on. Let it mostly cure, then tighten the clamps. The only thing you'd have to watch for is bits of cured RTV dropping into the intake if you remove the boot in the future.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Everything was smooth on both ends of the metal. That being said I went back and found one of my clamps were striped out and didn't tighten all the way. As a last result I will add rtv to the boot. But as for now I'm waiting till morning to start my bike and retest it, I had the neighbors from across the street tell me to turn my bike off cause it was to loud lol. But as far as testing them again tomorrow should I wait for the bike to warm up fully to spray the carb clean? And thank for the reply
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

make sure they are aligned right. there are very faint markings on the boots, and on the heads to line up.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is it the dot on the end of the boot that lines up with the head or the top lip looking piece on the boot?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
To give you guys a little back ground of the bike (sorry I forgot to do that) it's a 1985 vn700a1 with 19,000 miles. I bought it about a month ago for $275 with a clean title, it wasn't running so I took apart and clean all the carbs. It started right up after that. The only other things I've done are the pickup coil mod, and put a set of lower handle bars on. Everything is perfect so far besides this vacuum leak and I'm ready to pull my hair out. Lol. Besides that these are awesome bikes, very fun to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement