Fuel Petcock Leak - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Petcock Leak

Hello All,

After some riding around I noticed that on the left side my petcock was leaking. After further investigation I found that the right fuel line(facing the petcock) is ruptured a half an inch away from the petcock. Would I be able to buy this rubber tube and clamps from lets say an autozone and install it myself? Does anyone know the proper size and length of this tube?

Much appreciated.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilak View Post
1/4 ID, 3/8 OD. You can find it at any auto/hardware store for less than $1.50/ft.
Get like 5 ft and cut it to the perfect fit when installing. Could probably cut the current hose & re-clamp since it is so close to the end. Replace as soon as possible, of course.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Get like 5 ft and cut it to the perfect fit when installing. Could probably cut the current hose & re-clamp since it is so close to the end. Replace as soon as possible, of course.
SWEET !

Thank you, going to go to autozone right after work and pick it up.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

So I went ahead and bought the proper fuel line but after taking off the fuel tank and seeing the cut. I just trimmed the piece off and added a new clamp. No leak and runs just like before !

I will be selling the bike within the month. The damn charging system is kaput and don't have the money to shell out for a replacement at the shop (quotes 1k for the fix)

Thanks again !
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:34 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbruski View Post
So I went ahead and bought the proper fuel line but after taking off the fuel tank and seeing the cut. I just trimmed the piece off and added a new clamp. No leak and runs just like before !

I will be selling the bike within the month. The damn charging system is kaput and don't have the money to shell out for a replacement at the shop (quotes 1k for the fix)

Thanks again !
Why not fix it yourself? 1k is crazy talk

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Is it the r&r or the stator?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Is it the r&r or the stator?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spbruski View Post

Thanks again !
Why not fix it yourself? 1k is crazy talk
Where do I even begin.

I checked the strator and physically it looks sound, doesn't look burnt. High bright yellow look to it. The R/R, all the cables connected to it look completely charred and burnt. Haven't done any research on how to replace that whole wiring system. During the maintenance in the beginning of the season the mechanic said I need to replace the whole charging system which would cost me 1k with parts and labor. Plus the season is coming to a close
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 04:51 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 02:44 AM
I'm a rider

Garage
The mechanic is what costs you money, not the bike. If you don't have the time to work on a bike, some people's lives are complicated. I say however that if you can't work on your bike, don't ride. It's just how I view it. I find these easier to work on than older bikes like the KZ because you have to set the points, replace the condenser, etc..... These are pretty straight forward, the VN's. A bit of a pain in the ass in a few spots, but straight forward. With a resource like VN750.com and all the helpful folks you need do nothing but follow direction to do anything. Roach has videos for nearly everything posted here for visual aid.

Wire is wire..... if something is blackened replace it, not the harness. It's just wire. I had the RR charr the plug and melt it and used the proper spade connectors to independently plug each wire into the RR..... 29,000 miles ago. Still going strong. In my findings the plug conectors are usually the cause and cleaning the RR's connectors and installing new spades on the end of your wires usually fixes charging issues related to it.

read this thread, especially the last post with pics https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...tor-issue.html

https://www.vn750.com/forum/attachmen...4&d=1410741625

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.

Last edited by One1; 09-04-2016 at 02:54 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by One1 View Post
The mechanic is what costs you money, not the bike. If you don't have the time to work on a bike, some people's lives are complicated. I say however that if you can't work on your bike, don't ride. It's just how I view it. I find these easier to work on than older bikes like the KZ because you have to set the points, replace the condenser, etc..... These are pretty straight forward, the VN's. A bit of a pain in the ass in a few spots, but straight forward. With a resource like VN750.com and all the helpful folks you need do nothing but follow direction to do anything. Roach has videos for nearly everything posted here for visual aid.

Wire is wire..... if something is blackened replace it, not the harness. It's just wire. I had the RR charr the plug and melt it and used the proper spade connectors to independently plug each wire into the RR..... 29,000 miles ago. Still going strong. In my findings the plug conectors are usually the cause and cleaning the RR's connectors and installing new spades on the end of your wires usually fixes charging issues related to it.

read this thread, especially the last post with pics https://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electr...tor-issue.html

https://www.vn750.com/forum/attachmen...4&d=1410741625
So after some guidance from an electrical engineer I was able to cut the wires at the burnt part and attach new spade connectors. Got the bike starting up like a monster (in a good way)

After fixing that, I found another problem.

As soon as I turn on the bike it starts to rev and idle at 6k !
Went ahead and check the idle adjustment knob and turned it all the way to the left. No dice

After some more digging I found that the throttle linkage lever that is supposed to stop against the idle adjusting screw is stuck at an ~15 degree angle. After starting the bike and moving the lever flat against the screw it idles properly.

Any advice in removing the gunk in the pictures from the throttle lever? If this is the wrong sub I'll post it in the right one !

Thanks a million.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170219_153419.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	35538   Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG_20170219_153428.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	35546  
Sponsored Links