CRAP my tank sprung a leak!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
On His Lady Vulcan

CRAP my tank sprung a leak!!!

CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! Does anyone know for SURE if the POR-15 or Kreem is available through a parts house or are they only something one can get online? I really want it TODAY and not 10 days from now if you know what I mean. Any help would be great.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
NAPA has some stuff that works prety good for patching tanks...depending on where it is leaking from
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
On His Lady Vulcan

It looks to me to be a seam leak (could be mistaken, never had a leaking tank before) Heading out to Napa then. thnx

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
no problem
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
On His Lady Vulcan

I love it.... I popped into NAPA and asked them if they have any type of poor in tank sealant and I got the deer in headlights look, TWICE from two different stores...lol. What a PITA.

Peace

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Love My Baby

Seems to me if you poured in a tank sealant, it could easily end up sealing your carb and engine up as well. You might have to take the tank off and seal it properly. I agree, what a PITA!

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
i was thinking of their epoxy
but a pur in bladder would be better take rick's idea though and remove the tank first...you might also check with some radiator shops in the area..they use the same stuff to fix the tanks on radiators
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
On His Lady Vulcan

Yeah after a while some sealants have been known to break apart and gum up ones carbs. Kreem is one of them but I havent heard any neg. on the POR-15. Oh well, I wound up glopping a bunch of JB weld on the effected area in hopes that might solve my issue for now. When I am ready to repaint I will have it welded up. Unless I find a used tank for cheap.....hint hint nudge nudge...lol

Peace

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
Yeah after a while some sealants have been known to break apart and gum up ones carbs. Kreem is one of them but I havent heard any neg. on the POR-15. Oh well, I wound up glopping a bunch of JB weld on the effected area in hopes that might solve my issue for now. When I am ready to repaint I will have it welded up. Unless I find a used tank for cheap.....hint hint nudge nudge...lol

Peace
Know you've already done the JB Weld thing and hope it lasts for you. If it starts leaking again you might try NAPA's gas tank repair putty. Just like Magic Putty "as seen on TV" but is grey/black and made for gas tanks (fuel proof, etc.) (actually fool proof as well, which is why it was made for me!). Just knead it and press into place. Hardens in five minutes, cures totally in four hours, and can be used on a wet (w/ fuel) tank. $3.99 per stick is cheap insurance in case it starts leaking again while you're out riding. Not a pretty solution but it sure worked on mine (my leak was underneath inside seam).

Oh...and when you do find a cheap, no-rust, no-dents, used tank, get two and I'll buy one off you. Good luck with that!!!

Hope this helps.

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs

Last edited by rsawyer; 09-24-2008 at 06:35 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawyer View Post
Know you've already done the JB Weld thing and hope it lasts for you. If it starts leaking again you might try NAPA's gas tank repair putty. Just like Magic Putty "as seen on TV" but is made for gas tanks (fuel proof, etc.) (actually fool proof as well, which is why it was made for me!). Just knead it and press into place. Hardens in five minutes, cures totally in four hours, and can be used on a wet (w/ fuel) tank. $3.99 per stick is cheap insurance in case it starts leaking again while you're out riding. Not a pretty solution but it sure worked on mine (my leak was underneath inside seam).

Oh...and when you do find a cheap, no-rust, no-dents, used tank, get two and I'll buy one off you. Good luck with that!!!

Hope this helps.
Thats the stuff i was thinking of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement