Weird problem with fuel line - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Weird problem with fuel line

I went for a ride on the weekend and found myself stuck at the side of the road, with a weird problem.

The bike starts fine and runs fine. Then, after about 1/2 hours, after a long downhill, the bike feels like it's running out of petrol, then eventually stops. There is plenty of fuel in the tank. Try to re-start: no luck. For some reason, the fuel switch was set to reserve. It switch it back to normal, then it works fine. I keep going. After another 5 minutes, same thing happen. The bike feels like it's running out of petrol then stops. Try to switch between normal and reserve to re-start it, nothing works. I try again 15 minutes later with the fuel switch set to reserve, and it works fine! I rode home without any problem, having put the fuel switch back to normal.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Could it be a dirty fuel tank? I noticed a bit of rust inside the fuel tank. Do I need to clean the "filter" that is at the bottom of the petrol tank? The bike is from 1986, and I understand it had been staying garaged for quite a while in the past.

Any hints appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:21 PM

Re: Weird problem with fuel line

The fuel filters are a kind of mesh screen inside the fuel tank. It sounds like you have one or more pieces of trash floating around in the fuel that is eventually getting sucked up against the mesh that's over whichever opening the fuel is flowing through (reserve or main). The trash is likely floating free after suction is relieved. I suggest you drain all the fuel and clean the tank out thoroughly.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall
The fuel filters are a kind of mesh screen inside the fuel tank. It sounds like you have one or more pieces of trash floating around in the fuel that is eventually getting sucked up against the mesh that's over whichever opening the fuel is flowing through (reserve or main). The trash is likely floating free after suction is relieved. I suggest you drain all the fuel and clean the tank out thoroughly.
Thanks Wall.

How do you clean a fuel tank exactly?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 03:26 PM

I haven't had to try and clean a tank myself, so someone else would have to give an answer based on experience. My approach would be to drain the fuel, remove the tank, remove the petcock assembly, and blow the tank out good with compressed air.

Wally Colly

2004 VN750 "Freedom"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 01:50 PM
vulcan 750-'92 & 1500 '89

Thumbs up Re: Weird problem with fuel line

it is very easy to clean the tank.
you don't need new parts to replace anything, just empty the tank remove it from the bike turn it over en take the euhh thing off.
put a little gas in and shake it around,than look what's falling out.
clean the filters, you can pull them off,and blow trough the euhh thing[ I don't know the word for it]yeahh I am dutch .
but maybe it is not the tank,I had something like that also.
my problem was a small hole ore whats the name a puncture? in the tube from the tank to the carb.
so sometimes there was no vacuum? and therefore no gas suction .
so replace all the tubes there is very little costs and try again, onley this time ...stay in the neighbourhood!

pff...it isn't easy writing inglish..ore is it english.
greetings from a sunny holland.
it's a fuel valve!!! we call it a''benzine kraantje' much easyer.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk
it is very easy to clean the tank.
you don't need new parts to replace anything, just empty the tank remove it from the bike turn it over en take the euhh thing off.
put a little gas in and shake it around,than look what's falling out.
clean the filters, you can pull them off,and blow trough the euhh thing[ I don't know the word for it]yeahh I am dutch .
but maybe it is not the tank,I had something like that also.
my problem was a small hole ore whats the name a puncture? in the tube from the tank to the carb.
so sometimes there was no vacuum? and therefore no gas suction .
so replace all the tubes there is very little costs and try again, onley this time ...stay in the neighbourhood!

pff...it isn't easy writing inglish..ore is it english.
greetings from a sunny holland.
Thanks for the reply.

I removed the tank and checked it. There was no trace of any crap into it. The Australian model has 2 fuel filters, one for each fuel line. The fuel filters looked clean.

When putting back the tank, I realised some of the hoses from the tank to the carbs were cracked. I will replace them all, as they are probably as old as the bike.

Hopefully, that will fix it.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement