im not good with carbs please help. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Question im not good with carbs please help.

Hi. I just got my 93 vn750 brought to my place and now im on my own. I put a tw200 petcock on instead of the stock one, and it seems that one of the fuel lines from the t connector that i bought has to go up just a little bit to get to the other side of the bike. is this going to screw up the gravity fed system? Also, there is a hose coming off the bottom of my gas tank and i dont know if it went to the old petcock, or if its supposed to go somewhere else and it just came undone. Im not the best with auto mechanics, but i am willing to learn. I bought brand new spark plugs, a new battery, new fuel lines, and used metal rescue on the gas tank. When the battery works (it dies all the time), i can get it to start, but it wont idle, it will run, but if i go to nuetral, it shuts off, and takes a minute to start again, which is why the battery keeps dying. I read that there is a way to use the tw200 petcock, im just not sure if im doing it right. This is my first owned (not driven) motorcycle, and the excitement is unbearable. any advice would be greatly appreciated. I read a post of tuning the carbureator but it was like reading chinese. Is there a website that could explain this in laymen terms by chance, or could someone kind of give me a crash course in carburators for dummies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:31 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
It shuts off when you put it in neutral???or when you put it in gear?

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

as long as the fuel line does not go too high, you should be ok on the fuel feed..

when installing a tw200 petcock, you will plug the short vacuum line from left carb to the stock petcock, its no longer needed. use the existing fuel outlet (new tw200), and plumb your 2 fuel lines from it (use a T or Y connector to split the one outlet into 2 fuel lines).

hose at bottom of the tank.. is this at the rear-most portion (near seat), or up under it (near gas gauge sender)? if its near the seat, its the tank vent line, and just has a hose that drops down between engine and battery, and just hangs there with nothing on it, and this is assuming NON-CALIFORNIA emissions. CAlifornia emissions are a little different.

if that hose comes from near the gas gauge sender, it sounds like you have an ear shave done.. if thats the case, its the relocated carb vent hose, and it ABSOLUTELY MUST have its end in relatively dead, non turbulent air. common place to put the end is the fitting on the plastic cover for the gas gauge sender.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
If it dies when you put it in gear,it is probably the kickstand safety switch

sportster seat

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:18 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Carbs go straight to my hips.try a low carb diet and a cardiovascular exercise program

sportster seat

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

it shuts off when its in neutral, or when clutch is engaged, basically i have to keep my hand revving the accelorator when im not moving, or it shuts off.

Last edited by Raygyver; 07-12-2016 at 12:44 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

thank you. yes its the gas vent one at the bottom of the gas tank. I will plug the vacuum line and see if it helps for the idling, if not, i believe cleaning the carburator is the next step, which i've never done, but am willing to take a stab at it. all great information and thank you very much
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Alpha Geek

Ray, what area of the country are you located in? CVK carbs are kinda one of my specialites. I almost want to stop by and help for the hell of it, lol.

The vent under the tank won't affect the idle unless it's plugged. Generally people have trouble cruising because it gets turbulent air.

If it dies when you don't rev it, first thing to check is your idle speed. You can actually watch the idle screw contact the throttle assembly and raise it slightly. Clockwise/tight = pushing = higher idle.

I assume the bike isn't "ear shaved" yet, in which case the carbs probably haven't been out for a proper cleaning since it was new, lol. It's easy peasy once the "shave" is done. Otherwise it can take an hour or more if you don't have experience and another set of hands. Worst I've seen aside from some V-4 bikes.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:39 PM
2014 KLR 650!

When you say, "Hi. I just got my 93 vn750 brought to my place and now im on my own" did you buy it and the sellers delivered it? Did they ride it to your house?

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement