Bike turns over, but will not start - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Bike turns over, but will not start

Hi All,
I have a 2001 Vulcan 750. I just did an oil change on it. I used mobile 1 fully synthetic. Within a couple days I started hearing a sort of SHH SHH SHH sound in time with the engine. I wasn't experiencing any loss of power so I was going to wait for my weekend to take a look at it. My weekend starts tomorrow, but my bike died on me halfway to work this morning. Thankfully I live close to work and was able to walk it back. So it started to die on me at a stop light because I'd forgotten to turn on the fuel valve. Once I do that, it normally picks back up. It died a couple times and I could get it restarted, but once I let go of the clutch and gave it some gas, it'd die again. Now it attempts to turn over and sounds strong at that, but will not start at all. On a side note, from time to time, maybe once every 3 weeks, when I turn off the bike, the petcock will leak for a few seconds and then stop. Not sure what's going on with it. I am very mechanically inclined and would prefer to repair it myself. I was thinking to switch the oil again as the problem started shortly after, but wanted to get some other rider's opinions on the probable cause. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Check the basics

Is the battery charged enough to start the bike?
- Anything below 12.6v and you'll probably have a hard time, even if it turns over ignition will be weak and you won't get good enough spark to ignite. A failed charging system could lead to this.

Is it getting spark?
- Take a spark plug out and ground it against the frame, attempt to start bike, do you get a spark? If not, will want to check everything from ignition coil wiring to pickup coil wiring, clean all connectors at igniter, etc.

Is it getting fuel?
- If it is getting spark, you need to make sure it's getting fuel. Disconnect the spark plugs on 1 cyl and turn it over a few times. Pull the plug. Is it wet with fuel? You got gas. If not, need to check petcock and carbs and see why.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Wink Love to know the Answer to This.

I am interested to hear the results from this. I am a newbie here, just bought a 99. I was told that my bike has been tuned up and then sat in a garage for 4 years.

I am buying new plugs for it and changing out the gas, then going to follow your advice above and see where I stand when I try to start it this week.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Resolution

Hey all. I tried back blowing the carbs. I figured it was like a carb issue. Once I finished doing that, I looked up at my fuel valve and found the real issue. The tubing running from my fuel valve into the carb had split. So no gas was getting into the engine, or at least, not enough gas. This is what also cause the appearance of a fuel valve leak, as some of the gas would splash out at the fuel valve while riding. Patched it with duct tape as a temporary fix and then went and got some real tubing. Been running great since! $4 fix. Pretty rough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement