carbs ok now but hot start issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

carbs ok now but hot start issues

Finally got the float chamber o-rings installed and rebuilt carbs back on. Bike runs much better, no carb leaks, but ...
Will not start hot! I have a new MF battery. I read about Iridium Plugs and HP wires, Mods to the coils, and adjusting pick up coil gap which of these should I try first? Or is it something else?
I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

What kind of condition are the existing wires and plugs in? Do they look like stock parts still, or did you change them already at some point? As I read the posts around here, the best choice for our bikes is the NGK Irridiums, followed by the standard Irridiums. Do you have either of these in your bike now?

(When I brought my bike home and did my carb work I replaced the plugs at the same time with the standard NGK's and it seemed to make a noticeable improvement on mine.)

If they are known new(er), I'd try the pick up coils, as that seems to give positive results.

I'd also put all the choices on the short list of things to do, and go thru as possible to bring things up to a known reliable point.

Anyway, glad you got the carb issues sorted out.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

the plugs and wires are unknowns at this point. all I 've done is clean the plugs a bit and checked to see if all 4 wires spark relativly the same when grounded. So plugs and wires are next. The pick up coils are likewise an unknown. I also think the bike gets too hot when runing. the gauge works and does ot go past the mid mark but the pipes are really hot, (burn on left leg will testify). the gauge may be inacurate. The liquid in the rad is kinda murky green stuff. It should be drained and flushed. I got a gallon of dex cool but it seems the system needs a flush. Is there a recommended cleaner or should I just use the prestone cleaner descaler the parts houses sell? I also got a new oil filter and some Rotella to change the engine oil.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Many time starting the bike when hot is a matter of technique.

What worked for me was to roll on the throttle the second after hitting the starter..but not cracking it more than 1/8 to 1/4 open. No choke.

Seems everyone has their own take on this, but this worked for my bike.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement