Fuel Tank Leak Repair - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Fuel Tank Leak Repair

For those who may have had the same problem, I had to repair a leak in my fuel tank yesterday.

Turns out the PO had had the tank repaired but somehow failed to tell me when I was looking at the bike (surprise!). The repair was on the underside of the tank at the right front mount and looked like melted wax that had rehardened but was not visible without pulling the tank.

Anyway, after smelling gas for about a week and not seeing any leaks by carbs, etc., it finally let loose after a three hour ride and started dripping down along the edge of the tank onto a hot engine and exhaust pipes (fun!). Having never pulled a tank, I was nervous about breaking something but had no choice. Five tubes and three bolts later, my just refilled tank was now off the bike. After hooking up a siphon hose to a spare gas can to empty the tank, tragedy was averted.

After calling a few shops to see if anyone locally could install tank lining (no one seems to know anyone) I decided to to take one shop's advice and just try to repair the leak (besides, not being able to ride really sucks ).

Anyway, after checking this forum for options and talking to a few more bike mechs, finally settled on using Permatex Instant Gas Tank Repair ($3.99 at NAPA). It's like TV's Magic Putty but for gas tanks (fuel proof...no pun intended) and sets hard but flexible (handles vibration/temp changes). Cut off a piece, knead to activate it and press into place. Five minute job, leak repaired.

I'll probably get the tank relined at some point but looks like I'm set for now. Don't think I'll have issues later, but I'll let everybody know if I do. For $3.99 I get to ride for a while PLUS I learned something new like how to pull a leaking tank off a bike in 5 minutes or less!

Anyway, thought I'd pass this along.

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM

Pulled my tank off last weekend. Of course, it would have been nice to remember to turn the petcock to OFF before I removed the lines.

I know they make a tank lining thing you can do yourself, and of course the name escapes me know. Seems like it was a 3 step process.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

This guy who works for the company I work for was trying to repair a leaking gas tank yesterday.

He was trying the "torch to the rope and let the rope drip onto the crack" trick.

We'll never know how it worked because the tank exploded all to hell. He's lucky to be alive, or maybe not depending on how 3rd degree burns feel.

The tank was empty, and he said he flushed it, but those pesky fumes......

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 02:50 PM
kay
carbon unit

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Garage
My husband's 3 step process ...coats the inside

motorcycle fuel tank repair kit from POR-15

he's restoring a Dnper K750. I think he's crazy but he wants a sidecar cycle.

he says once you've followed the instructions to the letter, you can forget about it leaking.

several peeps who've taken a basket case to road ability, swear by it.

2010 Triumph Speedmaster
1995 Vulcan750
1989 XT350
M880
1959 M38A1

Last edited by kay; 08-29-2008 at 03:22 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I always keep a stick of marine epoxy in my tool bag. Same kind of stuff you are talking about , it's a tube shaped stick of of yellow putty with a core of blue colored putty. You cut off what you want and kneed it until it is all green , and then you got about 4 minutes to stick it where you want it before it hardens.

Used the stuff only one time to fix a hole in a gas tank, but it held for years. Likely still...(I sold that bike quite awhile back)

Since then I have used the stuff to repair many other things, including a hole in my daughters tub. (she dropped a can shaving cream in the tub and it punched a hole in the fiberglass)

Anyway, for years people would ask me why I had the green chewing gum stuck to the side of my tank..........

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Knife - similar stuff to be sure. This is a tube of epoxy putty, light gray on outside, black on inside. Kneads into a dark gray, starts to get hard in about 5 minutes, fully cured in about 4 hours. Anyway, well worth the price of admission so far, rode all over today and no issues. Feel pretty good about it lasting awhile.

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced