Replace fuel lines, tips, tricks - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Question Replace fuel lines, tips, tricks

Howdy all,

I need to replace the fuel lines on my 85, VN700 and it looks like a tight fit down there. Can anyone offer any tips, tricks or techniuqes that might help me to get the new hoses attached to the carbs without removing the carbs?

I was kinda thinking about using some long needle nose pliers but I don't want to damage the lines. Also I've got short stubby fingers so doing it by hand does not appear to an option

Thanks and happy trails...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I used long needlenose on mine without any trouble. You could leave the line kinda of long to feed it into place and then cut it just before putting it on the tank valve.

Don't pull the carbs for the fuel lines-you'll really regret that move. The lines aren't that hard to do if you just take your time, and just think about one at a time.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

As long as the new lines are pliable, you should have no problems using needlebeaks. As 750Doug said, take your time and think it through before and while you are running the new fuel line. The hardest part will be getting the clamps to seat but again, patience is the name of the game.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:39 PM

Just be careful pushing the lines on the carbs. The 90deg nipple on the carbs are made out of plastic and can break. A little WD40 will help them slide on.

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Plastic!! That's not good, I have a massive fuel leak from down in that area and I am now wondering if that might part of the problem. I wasn't able to work on it yesterday, Phx AZ heat is just too much on some days, but I will get the tank off and reinspect everything tonight or tomorrow AM. I found a set of 11'' 45 degree bent tip pliers that should work perfectly for fuel lines.

Thanks for the info, I'll post my results when I have something to post.

Happy Trails, etc....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 07:58 PM

Can someone take some pictures or describe how to replace the Fuel Lines and the Vaccume Hoses and where the Choke Cable goes. We ended up pulling out the Carb (Which was a real bear until we understood how and what was holding it in) but we did not have the lines marked when it came out and now have a Gas leak.. Can someone tell us how many fuel lines there are and how they come out of the Petcock, into the Carb, and where the Vaccume lines go so we can get all that straight. We have a 1985 Vulcan 750. There is no California emissions type stuff on it.. Just the matter of where the Hoses go, how to clamp them down, etc .

Thank You
David
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 AM

If they are the same as on mine..
The middle one on the petcock is the vacuumline, it's supposed to be connected to the vacuumport on the front carb.
The two others on the sides are one fuelline each to the carbs.
The vacuumport on the rear carbs is supposed to be plugged.
Then there's a ventilationline one short from each carb that goes to a T and then as a single line to the right airfilter housing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Still leaking, darn. I managed to get the large black hoses the run from the carb to the cyclinder off, the carb side only; and then it was easy to see how the hoses connected. After this I will probably be able to get new hoses on and off without to much trouble but the first time through it helped to have the extra visibilty.

As an FYI, did you know plastic melts when it comes in close proximity to heat? Apparently the pervious owner didn't because the old hose had 2 plastic funnel shaped fuel filters in each line ( 4 total ) and they had become bent and distorted over time. I replaced that mess with some 5/16 auto fuel hose but there is still a fuel leak from the carbs. Has anybody tried 1/4 fuel line hoses? The 5/16 stuff loks like it's getting pinched between the petcock and carbs.

Anyway it looks like the carbs have to come off so I'll probably order a carb rebuild kit, since it's coming off anyway might as rebuild it.

Thanks for everyone's help.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Old Fart

Garage
A nice tool to pick up for installing the hoses back are a long set of "hemostats"...you can find these at medical supply stores and also at well stocked fishing tackle shops.

Here online too:
http://tinyurl.com/6xzowe

I like the 12" curved ones.........

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement