Front cylinder tproblem - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Front cylinder tproblem

I'm very new to this bike, well to any bike. This is my first one, so please be patient with me cause i have zero experience fixing one.
Few days ago my bike stop running on the traffic light. Before that it was idling at constant rpms, and some time it would smell with fuel a bit.

So first thing i pull spark plugs the rear looked perfect(very light yellow/brown/white color) the front one looked completely black. So i just pull a spark plug from the front put new one more expensive from NAPA. and bike run like a charm for two days(i drove it probably for 10 hours). but then it happen again. Bike was not idling normally and would stop running front cylinder on the low rpms. This start happening just recently.

I guess front cylinder has to much fuel. I looked in the owners manual and read up on this site and many others but (maybe i'm just not very bright) can not understand how to adjust amount of fuel on the front. In manual it has a adjust bolt but only for the rear cylinder.

Can someone guide me step by step on what to do. Or let me know if there maybe some other problem with my bike.

My bike got wet, i left and forgot to cover it was sitting under rain for 2-3 days. But the problems start week latter after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreeze View Post
I'm very new to this bike, well to any bike. This is my first one, so please be patient with me cause i have zero experience fixing one.
Few days ago my bike stop running on the traffic light. Before that it was idling at constant rpms, and some time it would smell with fuel a bit.

So first thing i pull spark plugs the rear looked perfect(very light yellow/brown/white color) the front one looked completely black. So i just pull a spark plug from the front put new one more expensive from NAPA. and bike run like a charm for two days(i drove it probably for 10 hours). but then it happen again. Bike was not idling normally and would stop running front cylinder on the low rpms. This start happening just recently.

I guess front cylinder has to much fuel. I looked in the owners manual and read up on this site and many others but (maybe i'm just not very bright) can not understand how to adjust amount of fuel on the front. In manual it has a adjust bolt but only for the rear cylinder.

Can someone guide me step by step on what to do. Or let me know if there maybe some other problem with my bike.

My bike got wet, i left and forgot to cover it was sitting under rain for 2-3 days. But the problems start week latter after that.
Hi,

Before tearing in to the carbs, have you made the necessary changes required for these bikes e.g. the M/F battery, Iridium plugs etc?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 AM

Sounds like you might have a float valve hanging open. Try some Sea foam in your fuel. Another trick is to drain your carbs reset the drain screws, pull the carburetor vent line from the right air filter(ear), fill the line with Sea foam or Gum-Out carb cleaner and let it set a min. or two. Then drain the carbs. reinstall the vent line and see if it clears up.
The bolt your talking about is for carburetor synchronizing, I wouldn't mess with that.

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by compadres_carl View Post
Hi,

Before tearing in to the carbs, have you made the necessary changes required for these bikes e.g. the M/F battery, Iridium plugs etc?

Ok well first of all thanks a lot for replying to my post.
I dont know if i have M/F battery, but i bought it couple month ago, i also know that my generator works ok(i had motorcycle running without battery for few hours) the spark plugs that are currently installed are not Iridium, but the new one that i put in in the front cylinder is an Iridium Extreme from Autolite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn M View Post
Sounds like you might have a float valve hanging open. Try some Sea foam in your fuel. Another trick is to drain your carbs reset the drain screws, pull the carburetor vent line from the right air filter(ear), fill the line with Sea foam or Gum-Out carb cleaner and let it set a min. or two. Then drain the carbs. reinstall the vent line and see if it clears up.
The bolt your talking about is for carburetor synchronizing, I wouldn't mess with that.
How much of that would you add to the fuel. What should i do after just let it run for a bit. The problem is that is not igniting on the front at all(or that does not matter).

Thanks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Here is a step by step way to flush your carbs.

Most likely you have trash in the carb needle seats. Take the drain plug out of the bottom of each carb and let the fuel drain out, then use the little red spray tube with a can of Gumout Carburetor Cleaner to load the float bowl with it, holding a finger over the drain plug hole, and spraying up through the drain plug screw hole. Flood the float bowl with the Gumout, then remove the spray tube and your finger. Couple of times with each carb ought to do it. It's easier to tell when the bowl is flooded if you pull the vent hose out of the right ear and let it dangle out the side; Gumout will come out the tube when it's full. Replace the drain plug, put the vent tube back in the right ear and close the drain plugs. Turn the petcock on, fire up the bike, and see how she runs then.
In your case you might want to switch one of the spark plugs from the front cylinder to the rear cylinder, before you fire it up or install another set of plugs.

Then run some Sea Foam in your fuel for a while, the instructions are on the can.

Glenn

1985 VN700
Saddle Bags
Small Sport Windshield
R/R moved
Home built coasters
Kaw touring front fender
1990 Fuel tank
Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 & 170/80-15 tires
NGK Iridium plugs
NGK plug caps and 7mm copper core wires.
Deer Whistles

My VN700 pic's

VROC #7740
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn M View Post
Here is a step by step way to flush your carbs.

Most likely you have trash in the carb needle seats. Take the drain plug out of the bottom of each carb and let the fuel drain out, then use the little red spray tube with a can of Gumout Carburetor Cleaner to load the float bowl with it, holding a finger over the drain plug hole, and spraying up through the drain plug screw hole. Flood the float bowl with the Gumout, then remove the spray tube and your finger. Couple of times with each carb ought to do it. It's easier to tell when the bowl is flooded if you pull the vent hose out of the right ear and let it dangle out the side; Gumout will come out the tube when it's full. Replace the drain plug, put the vent tube back in the right ear and close the drain plugs. Turn the petcock on, fire up the bike, and see how she runs then.
In your case you might want to switch one of the spark plugs from the front cylinder to the rear cylinder, before you fire it up or install another set of plugs.

Then run some Sea Foam in your fuel for a while, the instructions are on the can.
Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!
it did work, it seems to work good (knock on wood).
Feels a bit weird but overall seems to run awesome.
I did not add sea foam, i think i will next time i will fill my bike.
But just draining fuel from the carb had some dirt. After second cleaner flush the fluid seems to be ok clean. I will keep an eye on the bike for few more day.

I have to admit that was the easiest repair that i ever done in my life.
Now i can get back on the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement