Removing Evaporative Emission Controls? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Bishop
Removing Evaporative Emission Controls?

I am finally tearing down and restoring/rebuilding my 750. One of the issues that I just started thinking about was "shaving the ears." If I do that mod, I will be able to remove all of the intake parts. However, the airbox is connected to the "evaporative emissions control" on California models. It's not that I am wanting to destroy the environment, but is there any reason why I could not plug the leads from the gas tank and remove the system altogether? Has anyone done this? Are there any other ramifications of removing this system?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 PM

Re: Removing Evaporative Emission Controls?

No, you can't just plug the leads on the gas tank. Those are vents for the tank...in and out so the tanks internal pressure can equalize with changes in temperature and whatever else. No venting = bad. The internal tank pressure will eventually stop fuel flow to the engine with obvious consequences.
If you don't plug them, raw gas and (more dangerous) gas fumes will come out... So at the least you'll have to do is run vent lines down past the battery and hot exhaust to the bottom of the bike. Be prepared to have raw gas dripping under the bike when you shut it off.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Bishop

Hmmmm...well, I defintely don't want dripping gas. My question now becomes: How do people who have removed all of their airbox components have a functioning evap system? From the pictures, it doesn't appear that the "ear shave" kits have any leads from them. Am I wrong? Are people just leaving an empty hose (unfiltered) laying around to draw air in?

Is there a way around this system? It seems like I could open up some space and improve air flow if I could remove the airbox, evap canister, liquid-vapor separator and about 10 feet of hose from my bike!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:22 AM

I havn't had a close look at any bike with an earshave, so I couldn't comment on what people are actually doing. I thought about doing it to mine, but once I got a look at what was involved, I just left it stock.

You can pull the airbox without pulling the evap system. Just need small filters for the crankcase and evap canister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement