carbs off 3rd time - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy carbs off 3rd time

The bike started and ran smooth for about 3 mins, then it began to idle faster, slower rpms up and down. From reading the carb threads it seems I have an air leak somewhere. I shot wd40 around boots, back cylinder went a little weird then mometarly blew smoke out the exhaust. I guess that means that boot leaks? Then when I shut it down there was a gas leak from the front carb float chamber. I had noticed when I reassembled the carbs getting the gasket o-ring around the float chamber halves was difficult. the gasket appeared stretched and had to be pushed and held in the grove to get the halves rejoined. It appears the leak is there. I will order new gaskets ASAP. The air leak is a new problem. the mounting boot clamps seem to be good and tighten down ok. Should I replace the boots, or clamps, or both, I thought about adding some RTV silicone between the boots and metal on both the cylinder and the carb. But that may create more mess than help, especially if I ever have to take the carbs off again. Any help advice would be appreciated. 3z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Calif Rider

In taking off and putting the boots back on a crack may have developed giving you a air leak. At least that is what it sounds like with the carb getting weird and then white smoke coming out of the exhaust. To bad it is such a pain to get the boots off. LOL

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Shouldn't have to change the boots, but you won't know for sure until you pull and check 'em real good.

The idle change and white smoke indicates that the WD40 was sucked into the engine, (and burned causing the white smoke) so you're right, there is a leak at that spot.

When reassembly begins, be patient with the boots to be sure they are all the way on and sealing, and notice that just inside the boot cast into the rubber is a small indentation that fits over a casting in the metal. That puts the boot in the right orientation, and if it's off the mark, it will leak.

Clamps are like the boots-shouldn't need to change them, but you won't know for sure until they're in your hand and you can see them. Last time you put them on, if they tightened up normally without stripping, then I wouldn't think you'd need new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement