Gas coming out of air filter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Gas coming out of air filter

Hello everyone
I have an 85 vn750 and i have gas coming out of left side air filter I have drained the carbs put in some carb cleaner and let it sit for a few days then drained them again put in new gas it started right away (and it has never done that before)took it for a ride started out good lots of power then it bogged out could just get 100km out of it. So i drained the carbs again and some dirt did come out took it for another ride same thing drained again and gas looked good then gas starting to come out of air filter not just a little alot so i tapped the carb thinking a sticking float valve but it made no difference. Any other ideas what it might be would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM

Do youself a favor, pull out the carbs and clean them. I had the same problem, all the seafoam in the world could not clean them. Take your time and check your float settings while in there. good luck
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

With an 85, it's probably been sitting a good deal of its life. This can cause all kinds of gunk in the carb bowls. My 93 had a similar problem. It didn't pour gas out the airfilter but it flooded out the rear cylinder so bad it wouldn't fire about 3/4 of the time. I tried Seafoam but that didn't work so I pulled the carbs. You wouldn't believe how much gummy gunk was in there.
Once you get them cleaned, the Seafoam will help keep them clean.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 06:09 AM

Yeah, bit the bullet and pull 'em, clean 'em out real good, and then use the Sea-foam to keep 'em clean afterwards. Chances are good you'll find a big chunk of something-or-other jammed in the float needle/seat, or maybe even some damage.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

still gas coming out

Well I pulled the carbs cleaned them out they didn't seem to badly dirty put it all back together an synced them float level was fine and still the gas sems to be coming out not as much but still comes out of air breather what else could it be
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I really don't know what material your float is made out of, but is it possible to have a hole in the float??? If the float has a hole it will fill with fuel and not float. Aslo some floats are made from styro foam material and they can get saturated and also will not float.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 PM

Our floats are a hollow, hard plastic piece. It would be pretty difficult for a hole to form but it's not out of the question either.
When you cleaned the float valves and seats, did you check to see if the rubber end of the valve was deformed? This can cause it not to seat properly and therefore pass fuel. However, it has to be more than a stuck or leaking float valve because a flooding float bowl usually passes the fuel to the cylinder, not the air intake. If gas is coming out of the air filter, were the boots full of fuel when you pulled the carbs? It sounds like the air/fuel mix is not making it into the cylinder or a good part is not and is backing up into the intake. Maybe the slide assembly isn't working. Did you take the large diaphram covers off and check the diaphram for the affected cylinder? It may have holes in it which could explain your problem.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
When you cleaned the float valves and seats, did you check to see if the rubber end of the valve was deformed?
Yes, these need to be looked at closely. Literally. With a good light and a mag. glass if you have one.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I am going by what I know on automobile carbs. Another place that the fuel can get past is at the needle sit is screwed to the carb. If the seat is loose it will leak around where the needle (float valve) seals.

02 honda sabre 1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement