Newbie Mistake! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Newbie Mistake!

I have been tracking down a couple of lingering problems with my bike; inconsistent idling problems and a jumpy tach. The idle would drop to next to 0 and eventually sputter out, but only occasionally. I posted on this before and I have been trying to track down a possible vacuum leak. I also had the tach needle doing a little dance around 4000 RPM. Never got terrible, but it was definitely noticeable. Well, both problems reared on Friday afternoon. So I was all set to tear into the bike on Saturday morning. I figured I would go back to square one and try to take a look at everything, compression, spark, air, and fuel. When I went to remove the left side rear spark plug, it pulled right out. The thread section broke clean off! The ceramic insulator and electrode was in my hand, the threads were stuck in the cylinder. After removal using the biggest screw extractor I had, being very careful not to create metal shavings, I replaced the plug. Just for good measure, I replaced all of the plugs. Even though I read about how not to get in this situation, I obviously over torqued the plug when I put it back in the last time. I had them out a couple of times recently, while checking out other issues I had been having. It definitely seemed to slip while doing the quarter turn past snug torque. Now I know that it was the housing breaking loose! Stupid mistake, and it cost me a bunch of time and aggravation. Live and learn. Not a terribly expensive lesson ($12 for the new plugs), but one I'll not soon forget. My @$$ is a little sore from me kicking myself, but that will pass!

Well the jumpy tach problem disappeared, and so far the bike has been idling right on the money! I'm guessing that the vibration when the bike was in a certain range, was causing an intermittent bad connection, which was causing the tach to get squirrely. I am also guessing that I wasn't getting a reliable spark due to the problem with the ground, so the engine was running rough at idle as a result.

I hope that this makes sense! I am hoping that the seemingly never ending search for the elusive vacuum leak has actually ended! The bike is an '89, and I did expect to have to work on it, but between the age of the bike, and the fact that I am new at wrenching, it seems like that's all I ever do. As much as I am liking tinkering, I like riding better! I have had about 300 problem free miles since Saturday morning (aside from the ladders of course!). I'm truly hopeful that the trend will continue. (no more ladders thanks, just the problem free riding!!)

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-Replaced/Fused Stator & Replaced/Relocated R/R (15K mi.)
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Refinished Gauge Rings and Mirrors(Flat Black)
-Refinished Swingarm/Lubed Pivots
-K&S Turn Signals Clear Cover/Amber Bulb
-Kenda Kruz 110/90-19 front 170/80-15 rear
-Clear Alternatives LED tail light
-Plexifairing III
-Willie & Max Saddlebags and SissyBar Bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM

Mine's an '88 Chris, and once I got all the POs stupid **** worked out, and got the maintenance on track, the thing is turning out to be a pretty nice bike, and pretty reliable as well. I ride it more than I wrench it, but that was not the case during the first few weeks of ownership.

Least you got it worked out and back on the road!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Chucklehead

Welcome to the order of the Skinned Bloody Knuckle!!
Lesson learned so no lecture.
Makes sense if the plug was in there cracked, would cause those problems.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Mine's an '88 Chris, and once I got all the POs stupid **** worked out, and got the maintenance on track, the thing is turning out to be a pretty nice bike, and pretty reliable as well.
You know, I love the bike, and as far as reliability is concerned, it's an '89 and it's still going strong! Yours is an '88, and based on the recent poll there are a good number of 10, 15, and 20+ year old bikes still out there. I'd say overall this is a very reliable model. I think the PO neglected her for the most part, and it is definitely taking some time to get things dialed in, but there are those moments where things a running great and I think, wow, what a great bike. Then something goes wrong and I think, wow, what the hell did I get myself into! On the plus side things do seem to be working out. The problems are becoming fewer and farther apart, and I'm spending more time in the saddle than re-skinning my bloody knuckles! The reality is that we all need a bit more lookin' after the more mileage we get behind us!

Quote:
Makes sense if the plug was in there cracked, would cause those problems.
Dragon, that is good to hear! I was really hoping that this could be the source of the latest round of difficulties. Lesson definitely learned! I'm glad it wasn't a more expensive lesson for sure. It's an honor to be in the "order"!

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Plexifairing III
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon159 View Post
Welcome to the order of the Skinned Bloody Knuckle!!
ha ha ive been in that order for atleast 4 years, but its been on cages *GASP!!*

ha ha

ya im going through some of those issues. mine is an 85 700, and it sat for 7 years b4 i got it on the road again...right off the bat i had to buy a new batt, new rear turn signals, then typical legal papers. then had to get a speedo cable, then rear tire. now i did one cam tensioner, and other is on the way.

i can say, however, i did get the chance to acquire one part that WASNT a necessary one for the bike to run....and that was my much awaited, and soon to be much BELOVED...saddle bags ha ha
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

I've only been a member for a few months, but if you look close at the pics of my bike, you can see remnants of my "membership fee" stuck in the crevices around the engine!!!

I just put Willie and Max bags on my '89 ( PIC HERE ) Now I can carry tools with me so I can skin my knuckles while out on the road!

Chris
Wayne, NJ
1989 VN750-A5
VROC #27781
-MF Battery
-De-Goated/Re-goated
-Coastered
-Splines Lubed
-Stebel Nautilus Horn
-AutoMeter 2" VOM
-Silverstar Headlight
-Plexifairing III
Sponsored Links
Advertisement