2 Idle issues - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

2 Idle issues

Hey guys. So I have a 2002 earshaved vn750 with close to 24k miles. It has both the MF battery and the expensive spark plugs. I have two issues I have been fighting with ever since I did the ear shave this past May. the reason I did the ear shave was because I had to take my carbs off to replace a torn slide diaphragm. The problems I have had since are:

1st: When revving up the rpms never go back down to normal idle like they used to. It probably takes it about 4 seconds (the Mississippi kind) for it to get back to normal idle. Is this normal? I feel like it shouldn't be...

2nd: This problem has been getting progressively worse, but once the bike is warmed up enough for the fan to kick in the bike cannot idle at 1100 rpms like it is supposed to. It will try to and then it acts like it is misfiring or something until the rpms drop too low and it dies. I actually have it set at about 1700 rpms so it wont die on me.
Now I found on here that I should check my voltage at my battery and see what that says. The reading go from: 13ish cold. Idle: low 14ish reving it: 14.5 ish . When the fan kicks on it will crawl down from 14 until it is around 13 & when it dips below 13v the bike starts misfiring (I think) till it dies.

I have been trying to solve this issues for months now and had to ride it out to CA from TX like this....any wisdom passed my way will be appreciated

(also I have a video of the 1st issue, but can't post it here for some reason)

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1979 VW Bus/Westfalia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 06:09 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Sounds like an intake leak.spray starting fluid around the base of the carbs.if it revs up you have an air leak

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 PM

x2 on #1

If you find a boot leaking, try to re-seat the carb, and watch the alignment marks.

On #2 the charging system doesn't seem to be keeping up, which could be the stator, but possibly more likely the R/R.

Look at The Two Wire Mod, sticky post, in the Electrical section and see what you think. It's simple enough to try, and also avoids future problems in the Junction Box.

What is your battery voltage before starting?

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 11-30-2015 at 06:29 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Damn....If it is a carb boot intake leak I must not know what the hell I am doing. I have taken these things off and on several times to make sure there is no leak and I have the same problem everytime. On this starting fluid trick. If I spray the fluid anywhere in that area won't the RPMs pick up anyway because the air intake will suck in the fumes?? Just want to make sure I do it right. Let me go check what the resting voltage is.

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1979 VW Bus/Westfalia
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleDirtyDoc View Post
Sounds like an intake leak.spray starting fluid around the base of the carbs.if it revs up you have an air leak
Damn....If it is a carb boot intake leak I must not know what the hell I am doing. I have taken these things off and on several times to make sure there is no leak and I have the same problem everytime. On this starting fluid trick. If I spray the fluid anywhere in that area won't the RPMs pick up anyway because the air intake will suck in the fumes?? Just want to make sure I do it right.

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1979 VW Bus/Westfalia
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
x2 on #1

If you find a boot leaking, try to re-seat the carb, and watch the alignment marks.

On #2 the charging system doesn't seem to be keeping up, which could be the stator, but possibly more likely the R/R.

Look at The Two Wire Mod, sticky post, in the Electrical section and see what you think. It's simple enough to try, and also avoids future problems in the Junction Box.

What is your battery voltage before starting?
I will give that sticky a look see. Anything to help out! I just went and checked. The resting voltage before I start it is about 13.25 volts. then when idle (not so warm the fan is on) the voltage is around 14.45 volts. then when I revved it, it varied, but stayed around 14 and a half volts.

Also it does not like to idle when it is on it's sidestand for some reason. Is that normal?

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1979 VW Bus/Westfalia
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFred09 View Post
On this starting fluid trick. If I spray the fluid anywhere in that area won't the RPMs pick up anyway because the air intake will suck in the fumes?? Just want to make sure I do it right.
Yes, you could get a false reading due to the open filters being so close.

Some flammable spray lube with the long spray tube to pinpoint the spray might work better. WD40 doesn't burn anymore.

Can also use water, or WD40, except you will get a stumble instead of the idle flaring higher.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFred09 View Post
I will give that sticky a look see. Anything to help out! I just went and checked. The resting voltage before I start it is about 13.25 volts. then when idle (not so warm the fan is on) the voltage is around 14.45 volts. then when I revved it, it varied, but stayed around 14 and a half volts.

Also it does not like to idle when it is on it's sidestand for some reason. Is that normal?
Battery sounds good.

The idle on sidestand could be a float level just a tad too low. (gets worse when leaned over)

2003-21k mi

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, you could get a false reading due to the open filters being so close.

Some flammable spray lube with the long spray tube to pinpoint the spray might work better. WD40 doesn't burn anymore.

Can also use water, or WD40, except you will get a stumble instead of the idle flaring higher.
Where are all the places it could leak?? The line from the petcock, the other vaccum line on the side I have plugged, and the boots on the intake are all there is, right? Could that breather line that goes to the front throw something off?

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1979 VW Bus/Westfalia
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Battery sounds good.

The idle on sidestand could be a float level just a tad too low. (gets worse when leaned over)
Could that cause the other problems too?

2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
1979 VW Bus/Westfalia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement