Choke Not Revving - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Choke Not Revving

So my choke isn't revving the engine. It is working the plunger up and down, at full choke the bike dies, It's likely getting flooded, but doesn't have the higher rev's to keep it running. What would be causing the motor to not rev up when choke is applied? Where should I start. I follow the cable and everything seems to move as it should all the way to the plunger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

internally to each carb the plunger allows more fuel as well as more air into the system.. soooo, if its flooding, its not getting enough air. pull the carbs and clean them is the way to fix (seafoam wont really work here).

just a note however, if its 'off choke' and I put the choke on, it will stall as well, unless I rev the engine just prior to applying the choke, then the choke will work right. If the engine is off and I apply, then start, it works as designed.

I dont really use the choke much at all, just when first starting, on a stone cold (overnite sit) start. then its fully off within 1-2 minutes.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
internally to each carb the plunger allows more fuel as well as more air into the system.. soooo, if its flooding, its not getting enough air. pull the carbs and clean them is the way to fix (seafoam wont really work here).

just a note however, if its 'off choke' and I put the choke on, it will stall as well, unless I rev the engine just prior to applying the choke, then the choke will work right. If the engine is off and I apply, then start, it works as designed.

I dont really use the choke much at all, just when first starting, on a stone cold (overnite sit) start. then its fully off within 1-2 minutes.
When using the choke, what causes the engine to rev up? Seems there must be something linked to the throttle. As introducing more fuel, and air with the plunger but nothing changes the rev limit? There MUST be something that controls the rev limit when using the choke.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 09:38 AM

Garage
Nothing is touching the 'Rev limit'. By introducing more fuel and air the engine will naturally spin faster just as if you'd rolled on the throttle (though with a slightly richer mixture in this case).
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebj View Post
Nothing is touching the 'Rev limit'. By introducing more fuel and air the engine will naturally spin faster just as if you'd rolled on the throttle (though with a slightly richer mixture in this case).
So that's kind of strange to me. So you think the carbs need to be cleaned. The bike runs fine all the time, this is the only thing that doesn't work. I never have a problem with it starting, I'm just foreseeing a problem in colder months with a choke not working.

When I add choke to the running engine, it just dies. Even if it is warmed up, if I add it to a cold engine it dies as well. Do you think it's being flooded with gas and not getting enough air?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 AM

It does sound like a clogged air circuit.

Not sure I can stall mine when hot by using the choke, but I know I can pull the idle to 3500 and higher, anytime, just by pulling the choke.

This 'choke' is actually an enricher, since there is no choke plate or butterfly.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I talked with my Dad about this as well, he seems to think it's already choked, and by choking the engine or cutting the air down, it's just killing it. He said that the rear carburetor is running rich, that's why the back head is wet. Awhile back we removed the plugs and found the rear head spark plugs to be wet. The front seemed to be running right. He said if the back is running rich, and u choke it. Decreasing the air, since the mixture is already rich it's basically over choking it and killing it. He said I need to count the turns on the front carb when putting it at 0, then back it off the same amount. Since the front carb and head seems to burn right. Then do the back carburetor, he said it's likely to be more turns because it's burning rich. Then back it off the same turns as the front carburetor.

Does anyone of this sounds accurate, love my dad but sometimes he can be in left field! lol
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 12:15 PM

Your dad could be correct, if this was a conventional choke. But that's what I was explaining about it being an enricher, and not an actual choke. It enriches by adding fuel, not decreasing air, since it has no choke plate as normally found on carbs.

Not sure where you are "counting turns", choke cables, air mixtures, throttle cables? If your air mixture screws have been uncapped, it wouldn't hurt to check them.

If the rear cyl. is that rich, it may be an internal issue on that carb.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more

Last edited by Spockster; 10-11-2015 at 12:17 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 12:19 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Sounds like the float needle on the rear carb could be dirty?

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 12:24 PM

Is the rear cyl. actually firing? Does it get hot like the front cyl. does?

2003-21k mi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement