What the...!?! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Ba dum dum, ching...

What the...!?!

OK, it's been a couple of weeks until I could get back to my bike (both my father and step father have been in the hospital and except for working and taking time to take my MSF course I've been running between hospitals. (Of course they are in 2 different hospitals 60 miles apart.)

Now I decided to drain the tank and pull the petcock to check it but when I removed the fuel tube that runs from the petcock to the carb and opened the valve no fuel came out. I know there is fuel in the tank and I tried both the regular on and the reserve position so what's the deal?

Thx,
R

Yes, it's my mid-life crisis.

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Hi Ron

This should be an easy one and with nothing to worry about, in the main tank position (lever straight down on my 1991 VN) it requires vacuum from the engine for the petrol to flow, in the "reserve" position the petrol should flow without the engine running.

There should be 3 pipes on the petcock:-

Front Carb
Rear Carb
Vacuum Line to front cylinder carb

Just make sure the lines go to the right spot.

Hope this helps.

Regards

DaveT
Kuala Lumpur
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Ba dum dum, ching...

Thanks Dave. I'll try it in the reserve position.

R

Sweet Jane...
http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63386%3Enu%3D457%3A%3E6%3C3%3E258%3E  WSNRCG%3D3345343785349nu0mrj

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:42 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
That depends on what year, the newer ones will not flow even in reserve.
IF it said prime then it might flow, if it said reserve then it will not flow without vacume.
Hope this helps

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 01:10 AM

What Chad said is true. There's a diaphragm w/ plunger inside the petcock that uses vacuum from the front carb to open. Put some kind of suction device on the vacuum line (I use the rubber ball from a siphoning hose, or if you have one of those "suck-the-snot-out-of-baby-noses-rubber-thingies") and it'll drain. Once it starts flowing, you can clamp the line to maintain the pressure as the tank empties.

Good luck.

P.S. Once you use the snot sucker on the bike, keep it in the garage and away from the kid's nose.

2001 VN750
16k miles
Ear Shave & Coastered
EMGO & UNI Filters
Kuryakn ISO Grips
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
Clear Alternatives LED Tail Light
TOC MCCT
AGM Battery
Custom Footpegs
LED Voltmeter

Last edited by tilak; 07-20-2008 at 01:13 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I love the fact that I have been a cage mechanic for so long and have so many cool toys for working on cages with. One tool in particular that helps with testing the petcock flow rate is a brake bleeder kit. The one I have has lots of little vacuum hoses, caps, and adapters...wich make it very easy to hook up to the vacuum port on the fuel tank, hook the other end of the tubing up to my suction gun and start pumping away, until fuel flows from the tank (usualy three good pumps does the trick.) Also I use the same tool to bleed my front brakes. I take a Zip Tie and tie down the front brake lever then hook up my hoses to the bleeder valves on the calipers....Both callapers at the same time since i have a t fitting as well....then just hook up the suction gun and start pumping away untill no more air is in the system...ususualy it takes me about 1 minute to bleed the brake lines from zero fluid in the system to completely bled w/ No Air pockets. Darn I just love my tools...lol...

Ohh and now you are saying dang I wish I had one of them neeto brake bleader kits....you can find them at Sears, Harbor Freight, and most auto parts stores. I got mine through Snap On, just because i used to get a huge school discount through them and it ended up being cheaper than the Sears one I was looking at.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 07-20-2008 at 12:00 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Ba dum dum, ching...

Mine is a 2000 and the petcock says RES. As you said Slim, the fuel won't flow even on RES so I will need to pull vacuum on the line in order to empty the tank.
Thanks guys for the help,
R

Sweet Jane...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Ba dum dum, ching...

Now what!?!

(And to think I begged my wife to let me get this thing...)

OK. Here's a new one. Tonight I was working on my bike (still) I had it running but really rough. At one point I turned it off to answer my phone and in trying to be a good MSF rider I turned off the fuel valve. When I went back to it for some reason I decided to try and start it with the fuel valve off. AND it started and ran GREAT!!! But, whenever I would try to turn the valve on it would start to sputter and stall. I could catch it and turn the valve back off and it would run great again. Open it and it would start to stall again. It got to the point that I began to wonder if I was operating the valve correctly but I checked and it was. I tried RES and it would sputter, back to OFF and it runs fine. What's the deal here am I on Bikers Candid Camera?

Thanks in advance for the answer that is forthcoming,
R

Sweet Jane...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It sounds like you have a vacuum leak in the system. Either in the petcock or the line to it. I suspect the petcock itself. Try using the alternate vacuum source to open the petcock so fuel will flow. Plug the vacuum nipple on the carb and see how it runs with the petcock on Main or Res. If it runs ok, it's in the petcock and it may need to be either cleaned or rebuilt which is not hard.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_G View Post
(And to think I begged my wife to let me get this thing...)

OK. Here's a new one. Tonight I was working on my bike (still) I had it running but really rough. At one point I turned it off to answer my phone and in trying to be a good MSF rider I turned off the fuel valve. When I went back to it for some reason I decided to try and start it with the fuel valve off. AND it started and ran GREAT!!! But, whenever I would try to turn the valve on it would start to sputter and stall. I could catch it and turn the valve back off and it would run great again. Open it and it would start to stall again. It got to the point that I began to wonder if I was operating the valve correctly but I checked and it was. I tried RES and it would sputter, back to OFF and it runs fine. What's the deal here am I on Bikers Candid Camera?

Thanks in advance for the answer that is forthcoming,
R
I would guess that your floats are too high or a sticking. When you turn the fuel on, the fuel coming down the pipe is forcing excess fuel into the bowls and flooding the engine. When you turn the petcock off, the bike is running on the fuel in the bowls without any extra being forced in.

But Like I said, just a guess

85 VN750 basketcase ( yes its a true 750, and no smog controls, its good to be Canadian)
It will have
a rebuilt 96 top end, rebuilt 85 bottom end
degoated, Eared
stripped, lowered, raked, bobbed,
reed valve boxes shaved
ported and polished
balanced
right side dump exhaust
heads and cylinders shaved for compression
looking for smoothbore sidedraft carbs
possibly fat bob tanks
modified vn800 or sportster drag pipes or I'll just make some