Fuel in the oil - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Fuel in the oil

Hello. So I purchased my 750 about a year ago now, and for the first few months it ran well except for trouble starting (especially after just turning it off) and a leaky petcock. I changed the petcock and worked around the starting (didn't seem to be POOGS as it happened even when full). I left for a summer job (fuel treated) and when I returned rode her once, but as I was riding found that she get extremely hot. Stopped where I was and thought I'd let her cool down and take her back home to take a look. Had a lot of trouble restarting (would just turn over and over but wouldn't start), but eventually got it, but it didn't run right. Changed oil the next day, but didn't even start after that. Finally started around a week later of tries once a day (ish), but I didn't ride. Haven't been able to get a start ever since. Only turns over but doesn't start.
Today I changed the plugs. They didn't seem to be wet with fuel or anything when I pulled them and they looked decent. Changed nonetheless. Still wouldn't start after that. Read somewhere about something with fuel in the oil. Checked it and unscrewed the oil cap and it sure enough smells like gas. I'm not too sure what my best course of action is now, and have relatively average overall mechanical knowledge, but I'm thinking clean carbs? But really not too sure. If you made it down all the way to the bottom of this and have anything in mind, please advise! Thank you guys in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 03:32 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Sounds like you are flooding. Might have dirt in the float needles and they aren't seating and letting in too much fuel. Try Wolfie's backblow method,it's a sticky in the carb section.if not,it's time to really get into them carbs.they're not that bad after you get em out

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:05 PM

Seems confusing, dry plugs with symptoms of flooding?

Could be a sticky float has now stuck closed, but the oil was already contaminated from when it was stuck open.

Another source of flooding in the front cylinder, and gas into the oil, is the vacuum line from the left carb to the petcock. Check inside the line, it should be totally dry. If it's wet, the petcock is leaking internally.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

If the vacuum line is the one that's towards the bottom on the carb, then that one was dry.
I just did the carb blow but haven't put everything back to see if it works because I noticed a line that wasn't connected to anything coming from what looks to be the inner facing part of the left carb. It's just left dangling in between the 2. Should that be attached to anything?

It's the line that looks almost kinked, it's attached there and leads down but doesn't re-attach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1442866523370.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	25882  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:36 PM

I think I see a tee on that line, so that should be the carb vents. Could cause problems if that's kinked off or is exposed to any wind.

Stock setup has that line cut at a 45 angle and plugged into a hole/slot in the back of the air filter housing. Usually to the right side housing, but either one works.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes, it is a T. And ok will try that then put it all back together and update y'all! Thanks for the help!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

So I checked to see where that hose would go, and couldn't find it/had no clue lol. Is it possible you could send a picture or diagram of where it is?

Also, could be totally unrelated, but I checked the air filters and they were moist and had a gas smell? Normal or issue?

Last edited by Jaden702; 09-21-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement