At a complete loss on what category this falls under. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

At a complete loss on what category this falls under.

So I just recently replaced the stator (again). I bought a Caltrick initially, I DO NOT SUGGEST! Complete garbage. My friend who is a mechanic (kinda questioning his knowledge now) said when we put it in that sometimes electrical volt readers dont read correctly so he used an older one to get the read he wanted I am guessing (only hitting 12.5 not reaching 13 and up). Anyway, if anyone is looking for a good stator thats not the most expensive the Electrosport on Ebay is putting out great numbers! Not trying to sell them, just letting anyone know. I can get the exact numbers if someone is interested.

Anyways the electrical is working great! Now my problem is when I get up to speed into 5th or 4th gear it will start bogging down and wont go above 3, 4, or 5000 rpm's. then stall out when slowing down if I let off the gas. Then it wont start up for 5 to 10 minutes and starts right back up after that.

If I keep on the gas it wont stall, but at some point while doing that I seemed to hear a ton of noise from the left exhaust and nothing coming from the right for a bit of time, until it seemed to have kicked back on at some point. I am fairly certain this happened, however I do wear a full helmet and could be wrong. But something was not right. (this does not happen when sitting in idle, or at low speeds)

I kept an eye on the temp guage and its staying cool. I double checked the fuel/air mix screws and have them backed out at 2.5 turns due to the ear shave. I will admit I dont have the emgo filters on there, and have not re-jetted the carbs due to I want to put on a new exhaust and want to wait. But I do have the hoses tucked away and out of any wind.

The bike idles fine, and at low speeds I have no problems at all. But as soon as I reach 45 and up it doesnt want to work. I am just hoping at this point I am not beating a dead horse. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

1987 Vulcan 750

What Has Been Done:
New Battery
Stator Mod
Spline Lube
Starter Relay - replaced
Ignition Coils - replaced
ACCT's to MCCT's
Seat Mod
Re-position Rear Blinkers
New Fork Seals
Lowered Shocks
Ear Shave
Coaster Mod

Still to come:
Remove air box
Side Mount License Plate
Re-Position Horns
New Mirrors
New Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Old Fart

Garage
If you have no air filters you likely sucked some crap in the carb and it could be clogging a jet.

Also, where did you route the vent lines that come off the carbs?

(On a stock bike they are jointed with a T fitting and that hose is stuck in the back of the right air box)

If you don't have that hose end placed in still air it will screw up your fuel flow at higher rpms.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

where are the vent hoses from the 2 carbs going? with an ear shave, recommended they t together (like stock) and then the single line goes either up under the tank to a frame rail (zip tie to the top side of rail), or to the nipple on the cover for the gauge sending unit on bottom of tank.

the vent must terminate in dead air, and no, under the seat, in battery area, ect is NOT dead air.

also, make sure the vent is not kinked any where. that can cause a similar issue as the turbulent air at higher speeds is causing.

also, lack of filters can cause problems at higher speeds.. these carbs like smooth airflow. no filters leave the inlet side open to lots of turbulent air

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
If you have no air filters you likely sucked some crap in the carb and it could be clogging a jet.

Also, where did you route the vent lines that come off the carbs?

(On a stock bike they are jointed with a T fitting and that hose is stuck in the back of the right air box)

If you don't have that hose end placed in still air it will screw up your fuel flow at higher rpms.
I type too slow KM.. LOL

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

I do have the K&N cone filters. They are secured nicely. The Emgo filters I do not have. And the 2 hoses coming form the carbs meet at the T and the single hose coming from the T I have sitting behind the hair box. I guess that would not be dead air I did not know they are that finicky.

Would the suggestion be to either get the Emgo filters, or elongate the hoses so they sit back under the battery where the emission use to be?

1987 Vulcan 750

What Has Been Done:
New Battery
Stator Mod
Spline Lube
Starter Relay - replaced
ACCT's to MCCT's
Seat Mod
New Fork Seals
Lowered Shocks
Ear Shave
Coaster Mod

Still to come:
Remove air box
Side Mount License Plate
Re-Position Horns
New Mirrors
New Exhaust

Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 09-16-2015 at 11:49 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

Sorry, had only seen the first reply when I started typing my response. So tie it up under the tank or go with the emgo filters.

Got it. Hopefully I can get it done today and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback!

1987 Vulcan 750

What Has Been Done:
New Battery
Stator Mod
Spline Lube
Starter Relay - replaced
ACCT's to MCCT's
Seat Mod
New Fork Seals
Lowered Shocks
Ear Shave
Coaster Mod

Still to come:
Remove air box
Side Mount License Plate
Re-Position Horns
New Mirrors
New Exhaust
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
Sorry, had only seen the first reply when I started typing my response. So tie it up under the tank or go with the emgo filters.

Got it. Hopefully I can get it done today and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback!
The absolute best place for the T to go is to connect to the nipple that's under your tank. It's a perfect spot of dead air. I've gone 110 and had no bogging issues.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

no need to put a filter on the vent line, in fact, in a few cases its detrimental. as mentioned, secure it out of the wind (under tank seems to be the best place, and either location mentioned is good).

a filter on the crankcase breather is a must (the larger hose from front of engine that used to go to the bottom of the airbox).

I had mine under tank when I first did the mod, but had the hose bending a little too tight of a bend, and it kinked. that also caused similar issues to what having it in turbulent air causes. so make sure the vent hoses are not kinked.

the reason the vents are so sensitive to air flow/pressure, is they feed directly to the carb bowls.. and when the air pressure on the vent hose fluctuates (turbulence, in the wind, ect), it prevents the carb from maintaining proper fuel level in the bowl

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17

Last edited by michiganteddybear; 09-16-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
FastHamFreddy

To clarify the nipple under the tank - Do you mean the plastic nipple pointing toward you while riding, and do I completely just put the hose on the nipple, or just zip tie it to the nipple.

And I still do have the crankcase breather attached to the bottom of the airbox. would that also cause any of these issues?

Also I have read the hose not being in dead air could cause it to bog down and not pick up speed. But would it also cause it to shut down and stall out when slowing down, every time? I Then cause it not to start for 5 to 10 minutes?

To give an example - Ride around my neighborhood 25-30 mph no problems. Jump on the main road go 55-60 (speed limit 55) and get up to 4th or 5th gear initially gets up there but as soon as i let off the gas bogs down lower and lower every time i let off the gas. Until I let off the gas entirely to come to a stop sign, and stalls out completely. Wont start for 5 to 10 minutes, then comes back on. I did this about 4 or 5 times yesterday with the same result every time.

Thanks again for the info! it is all very much helpful!

1987 Vulcan 750

What Has Been Done:
New Battery
Stator Mod
Spline Lube
Starter Relay - replaced
ACCT's to MCCT's
Seat Mod
New Fork Seals
Lowered Shocks
Ear Shave
Coaster Mod

Still to come:
Remove air box
Side Mount License Plate
Re-Position Horns
New Mirrors
New Exhaust
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:32 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
Quote:
To clarify the nipple under the tank - Do you mean the plastic nipple pointing toward you while riding, and do I completely just put the hose on the nipple, or just zip tie it to the nipple.
That's the one. You can just slide it on unless it's loose, then can zip tie if needed.

Quote:
And I still do have the crankcase breather attached to the bottom of the airbox. would that also cause any of these issues?
Not really, but you should put a separate little filter on it so that nothing bad is sucked into the crankcase.

The other thing you should do is open your gas tank when you have issues. If you hear pressure, and the bike starts right up with the tank open, then the issue is POOGS. (Phantom out of gas syndrome).

Search the site up top for a few write-ups on how to clean the vent lines in the tank to remedy it.

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat