Hose routing question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Hose routing question

I'm new to this forum, and new to the bike also.
Bought a 1993 VN750, stock exhaust no mods done at all from a person who said it wont start. He claimed to have removed the carbs to "clean them", I can see hoses going strange places, my guess is he did something wrong along the way. So I want to remove the carbs, check them, rebuild if needed and put them back and hope for a running bike.
My question is can the emissions hoses and valve be removed permanently , and capped off with plates, while still keeping the surge tank and stock ears on the bike(for the stock look).
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

yes, yes you can.

right side carb vacuum port will need to be plugged, all other lines as stock

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the Vulcan madness.
FYI, your first post should be to the newby checkin to introduce yourself.
Also the User CP lets you put your location that shows on every post you make here. You might find a member who lives close by who is willing to help you sort the hoses out.

The short answer is yes, all the emissions crap can be taken off and the bike will have fewer potential problems. My scoot was originally sold in Canada and did not have any of the emission canisters, hoses ect. installed.

If you live in CA or some other states with vehicle inspections or emission controls, you may have to leave the emission controls on and use some easy to reverse mods. (ie. cap off two reed valve vents where hoses go. Inspection time comes, pull off the caps and put hoses back on to pass test. )

More info from Vulcan Verses, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1083
esp note post 2 about half way down to method #1

Quote:
method #1: (I like this option, you can always return it to stock which may be needed to pass emissions) - pull hoses off reed valves. On left side (rear cylinder) the reed valve is on the top of the cylinder about where your knee is. On the right side (front cylinder), it's under the back side of the air filter. Plug both hoses with a marble (they seem to be the perfect size), or a steel ball. Do not worry about the marble breaking, never heard of that happening. It probably has the added benefit that it does not heat up like a steel ball would. As an alternative, you can also plug the hoses on the other end, right before they enter the air-actuated valve under the seat at the back of the tank.
Here are some helpful pics in the photo gallery. The top left corner has a set of 7 carb pics with hoses and labels.
https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showg...500&ppuser=962

I have never had to work on my engine so will leave it up to those more experienced with the carbs to help you with the reassembly.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-13-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement