Tuning (Jetting) Keihin CV Carbs for the VN750 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Crowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgulley21 View Post
I can adjust the screws but the popping is consistent on decel throughout.
Yeah, I'm going to go 138/38 and see. Took my shims out, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:55 AM

Same here
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgulley21 View Post
I did the ear shave and installed 42/142 and 2 shims like suggested in the procedure. I also had straight pipe welded and added slip ons I believe with 8in. baffles and then wrapped the pipes. I'm getting popping only from front cylinder. Jets too large?
Carbs tend to pop from being too lean, not too rich. So I would suspect some other reason, besides jets too large, for the popping.

With straight pipes, you need to read the plugs correctly to decide which way to go on the jets. Otherwise, you are just guessing. That can get expensive and time consuming while accomplishing nothing.

I think larger jets for the earshave alone are not needed at all. There have been a lot of posts in the earshave guide about this fact, but I think an edit should be made at the start of the thread to alert newcomers. It looks like many just read the first page and take off with it, then they have problems.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM

After reading this I decided to give it a try on mine. I originally had the 42, 142 jets with two shims on the jets and decided to move down to 40, 138 with no shims. I have the pilot screws out to roughly 2 1/4 turns. But reading this again I could turn that all the way in and still be fine correct? Even with the new jets coasting down hill in gear I'm not hearing any "backfire" which I believe the bike needs. Also before moving down to the smaller jets I checked the easier to remove plugs and I had a white tint to the tips. They were not wet. I want to recheck them in a few days to see if I notice any difference. Besides the ear shave I also have the Vance and Hines pipes. So just want to verify before turning them in that this won't cause a problem if the bike idle and rides fine that way. Or should I just move down another size on the pilots.

1992 Vulcan 750.
Ear shaved and re-jetted.

Last edited by theone2043; 08-26-2015 at 05:19 PM.
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:37 PM

Can someone please give me a idea of what size mains and idle w/ shims i should be looking at. Doing Earshave, DeGoating, Coastering and live in the Mile high city so 5000 + above sea level. \

Thanks in advance.
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I'd start with 40/140 and two shims.open up the covers for the air mixture screws and bottom out lightly and turn out 2.5 screws. each bike is different but should get ya in the ballpark.how about an introduction in the newbie section? thank you

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 06:16 PM

Garage
I have that same issue of popping. more of grumble now on decel after many tests....rear cylinder only...I'm racking my so called brain to see if i can adjust the air mix screws just to have the same grumble pop on both pipes...but it is wicked cold here riding today and testing theorys...2 degrees i think with the wind chill...lol...but this post really helps ...great education..thanks...Im curious though ..would anyone know if it matters if the exhaust pipes vary in length - would that effect the detail of how the bike performs or would it matter for the back fire pop? bile mechanic I am not...i go by theory and possible reasonings.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:41 PM

Garage
You should get better mileage than that. I run about 42mpg but when I lean it out I get 45-50mpg and it runs faster, I run it at 42mpg because the plugs were just too light at 45-50mpg and I didn't want to worry about it.
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 11:13 AM

Howdy all
New to this forum but not to motorcycles. I just bought an 06 VN 750 to ride around town instead of riding my Goldwing everywhere. This VN 750 is in excellent condition with only 2600 miles on it. I've owned many Kawasaki's over the years and really love Jap bikes.
The 750 that I bought was in the process of the ear shave and AIS removal when I got it. I finished the project by following the procedure listed on this forum which sounded pretty reasonable. I removed the carbs. Carbs were very clean so I didn't completely disassemble them. I installed the new jets and shims, After the new oversize jets and shims were installed and everything was re-assembled, the 750 started immediately and idles great. It seemed to stumble a bit when I first rev'ed it but not too bad. I took it for a ride and it has no power at all on the low end and I could only get it to 75 mph on the top end.
The mods on the 750 are;
ear shave
AIS removal
K and N pods
142 main
40 pilot
What do you think? I know this bike should run an easy 100 mph if n eeded.
Thanks,
Steve
2 1/2 out on pilot screws
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 11:19 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
what exhaust ya running?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"