Bike stalls on throttle while hot from stop - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Bike stalls on throttle while hot from stop

Hi everyone,

I have a 2001 that I've done an ear shave to and it works perfectly 99% of the time. I have this one niggling issue.

On a warm/hot day and sitting at a light long enough for the bike to get hot enough for the fan to kick in, if I try to use the throttle to go, the bike will splutter and die. Sounds almost like it's trying to backfire through the carb.

I can get it to restart, but I have to be very careful with too much throttle. Once I get moving again get some air past the bike, it runs fine. If I sit at a light and hold the bike to 2000 RPM and, with the same previous conditions, the bike will move just fine.

I can't determine if this is an adjustment issue or maybe an imbalance between the carbs.

Thanks for any help,
JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

im gonna throw in 2 possiblities...

1. marginal battery/charging performance. the fan puts a big load on the system, and if the voltage drops too low, sheet happens like that.

2. need a pickup coil mod (will help the hot start issues, and may help with the stalling under less than perfect electrical conditions)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 01:34 PM
1986 VN750

Garage
++ both of those

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:43 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
If you get a moment can you please do an introduction in the newbie section?it helps us answer questions if we know your riding experience and wrenching experience. It also helps to give your location cause members close by may be willing to stop by and give a helping hand.thank you and welcome to the forum

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Hi everyone, thanks for all of the info. Sorry getting back to reply so late, but I got called away for work.

I found the problem. A month ago, I had a motorcycle shop do a full clean of the carbs and replace some of the internal wear bits. Since I had done the ear shave and have the Vance & Hines exhaust, I have the larger pilot/main jets. Well, when they put it back together, they used the stock size jets. I could visually tell the main jets were too small.

I got new, proper size jets and put them in this morning, and it does sound better. I'm guessing the bike was running lean, causing the engine to run hotter. With the lean condition and hot engine while idling for a while at a light, the engine would stall when I tried to give it a little throttle.

I'll test it out with a full run through traffic, but I'm pretty sure it will run better and cooler and not stall out.

Also, I will try to do those two mods, one for the gap in the timing sensors and the other with the relay for the coil at a later time.

I'm not a newbie, but haven't been around the forums in a while due to work and wrenching on a couple of our classic cars. Now that they are done, I'm getting back working on my bike and transforming it to flat black with some red accents. I'll post my bits in the "hello" section of the forum.

Thanks again,
JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement