Bike stalls....like poogs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Bike stalls....like poogs

Hey guys.....

Does anyone have any other suggestions on my 93 vn750 stalling? It follows the symptoms as POOGS, with exception of I'm not 100% sure of the fuel level since the gauge doesnt work. But it happens arounf 130-150 miles, & doesnt do it on a full tank.

I took the gas cap off, took it apart, cleaned everything, etc.....then, since my bike has the emissions junk on it, i cut one hose(before the emissions), & added a T fitting, with an additional vent hose. Now that it stopped raining enough to ride finally, I found that I still have the same problem. Is there anyway the fuel petcock can or may have an issue that would cause it to starve for fuel like that?

Any first hand experience/suggestions(other than trade it for a Victory) would be great!!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

100-130 miles could very well be a petcock problem. that's around the time most of use have to switch to reserve on the petcock (last 1/2 gallon or so of fuel)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 02:38 PM

Are you sure you're not actually running out of gas? Depending on how hard you are riding you could be very close to empty by 130-150 miles. You would at the very least be switching to reserve by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 03:02 PM
2014 KLR 650!

130-150 and you could just be outa gas. poogs ill hit ya around 50-75miles

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Are you ...or have you switched to "reserve" when this happens?

If not, sounds like you're just running out of fuel. If you have, could be a clogged reserve outlet. (The petcock has two tubes that stick into the tank, the "reserve" tube is just shorter)

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

I suppose it could be just plain out of gas. Dont really know since the gas gauge doesnt work. It did it to me this morning, and i put 2.7 gallons in. The owners manual could be lying when it says its a 3.6 gallon tank, but assuming thats right, I had around 112 miles on that tank of gas, & had .9 of a gallon left.

When I first got on vn750, I made mention that the gauge was broken, & someone told me I should be good for about 300 miles out of a tank. If that is incorrect, then that could be why I am thinking poogs, at 130/150 range.

So, my next question is;

What can I expect out of a full tank of gas? We'll call it an "average", sometimes I ride faster, & go through the gears faster, other times I dont.

Of course, I know the best way to figure out any & all issues would be to get a new sensor for the gas gauge.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:17 PM
2014 KLR 650!

I would start looking for a station when I hit 100 miles, 110 at the outside. My harley doesn't have a gas gauge and I've never trusted them. Then you have about 15-20 miles on reserve.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You know...most motorcycles made back in the 60-70's didn't have a "fuel gauge".... They had a "On" or "Run" position on the petcock and you knew it was time to get gas when you had to flip the lever over to "Reserve"... So in some sense the fact that the Vulcan allows you to do this but still has a "fuel gauge" I've always found funny.
For most of my riding life, my bikes didn't have fuel gauges...and other than the Vulcan, the ones that did ....didn't have a petcock.

If you learn to use the reserve feature and pay attention to your mileage when you fill up, you really don't need a fuel gauge.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Based on what you have said about when this starts happening, I'm going to say that you will probably get to about 130 miles on the tank before you should switch to reserve...and I'm going to assume you haven't been doing that because someone told you this bike would go 300 miles on a tank of gas. And they lied to you. So from now on, when you get close to 130 miles on a tank of gas, get to a gas station. I'm going to guess that you will still probably only put in 2.8-3.0 gallons at that point. I would say that would be about average.

Of course everyone is different and every bike is different so don't take my averages as gospel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 12:18 AM

this is the first bike I ever owned that had a gas gauge on it. On this bike when I get close to 120 miles the gauge go to empty even though I still have gas in the tank. What you are describing is you are simply running out of gas. When I get to the 100 mile mark I am looking for a gas station. That stopped the poog effect that you are describing. The fuel gauge is a reminder gauge not a dead on gauge like we have in our cars and trucks.

Grace and Peace to you!
Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement