Removal of carbs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Removal of carbs

I want to remove the carbs on my 750 to clean them. I have skimmed thru some of the previous posts on this subject. My cycle still has the original airbox plennum up under the fuel tank inside the frame. Does this have to come out before removal of the carbs? It looks like a very big deal since the coolant lines run along the top side of it. I have downloaded the service manual and that is what is stated, just looking for an easier path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan1999 View Post
I want to remove the carbs on my 750 to clean them. I have skimmed thru some of the previous posts on this subject. My cycle still has the original airbox plennum up under the fuel tank inside the frame. Does this have to come out before removal of the carbs? It looks like a very big deal since the coolant lines run along the top side of it. I have downloaded the service manual and that is what is stated, just looking for an easier path.
Despite what the manual says, the carbs can be removed without taking off the air box. In fact, I think the only way to get the air box off in one piece is to pull the engine first. If you're confident that the boots are in the proper position (this is critical) mark them somehow so that they can be positioned back properly as the tabs can be hard to identify otherwise. Also pay attention to the clamp orientation, they are difficult enough to get to when they're in the right place. Taking picture for reference always helps. One boot will remain on the engine - the front one I think - and the other comes off with the carbs. The manual details this. Once everything is disconnected, a flat piece of metal can be inserted below the air box to raise it slightly. It takes LOTS OF PATIENCE BUT THEY WILL COME OUT. Remove them on the right side of the bike. I used a Dremel tool to round the fins on the rear of the front cylinder to provide a little more clearance. When reassembling, put a small amount of oil around the lips (easy Ol Dirty Doc) to help with the process. One other thing I did, though maybe I shouldn't, was to cut a flap into the top of the air box to facilitate getting the boots back in. I sealed it good with Gorilla duct tape and it's fine.

Many here advocate removing the air box and doing the ear shave because it makes this task much easier. I really wanted to keep my bike stock so I left the air box in.

Run down to the drug store and get a large supply of patience cause you'll need it. If you're a drinking man, stock up on your favorite beverage too!

Hope this helps and good luck with it.

"Katie"
2002 VN 750, stock except for accessories
Mustang seat
Super Bright LED brake strobe on trunk
About 25k miles
All drive train maintenance performed, drive shaft coupler replaced
Way more experienced at pulling VN 750 carbs than I ever wanted to be.
TOC ACCT rebuild kits installed
Pick up coil mod
Cooling system flushed, refilled with fresh coolant
Petcock rebuilt
VN sold, current steed Honda ST 1300
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I will try the piece of metal trick. I had attempted this once already and gave up and put things back. I had removed the back rubber airbox connector, throttle cables and had popped off the carbs from their rubber mounts but didn't want to force anything trying to get them out. I never did see how to unhook the choke enricher cable. Is that something you do after they are out?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 03:36 PM

I think once you slip the choke cable out of the bracket you have enough slack to remove it from the carbs. It's best to put it back when the carbs are back between the cylinders but not yet bolted in so that you can move them around and reconnect the choke cable. You should plan on replacing all vacuum and fuel lines too. Cut the new fuel lines the same length as the old ones or they may crimp. Since the tank will be off you should drain and inspect it and remove the petcock to check the fuel screens. The screen on the reserve side of my petcock had come off and was rolling around in the tank. As a result unfiltered fuel went in when I went to reserve and guess what? Off come the carbs again. I saw several petcocks on eBay with the reserve screen missing so its apparently a fairly common problem.

By the way, I think the manual says to not soak the carb bodies in carb cleaner because some plastic parts can be damaged so I'd be careful about that.

Remove the plates from the coasting enricher diaphragms and inspect the diaphragms. One of mine was completely deteriorated.

Once all this is done and your bike runs perfectly again, avoid ethanol fuel if at all possible. Your carbs and your patience will thank you for it.

"Katie"
2002 VN 750, stock except for accessories
Mustang seat
Super Bright LED brake strobe on trunk
About 25k miles
All drive train maintenance performed, drive shaft coupler replaced
Way more experienced at pulling VN 750 carbs than I ever wanted to be.
TOC ACCT rebuild kits installed
Pick up coil mod
Cooling system flushed, refilled with fresh coolant
Petcock rebuilt
VN sold, current steed Honda ST 1300
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan1999 View Post
It might just be easier to run some seafoam in them to clean them before going through the pain of pulling them. You can try the blowback method which is outlined in a thread here somewhere.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement