Rusty Gas Tank - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
Rusty Gas Tank

I used acid and flushed the tank into a mason tub. Used two pounds of baking soda to neutralize then dumped the water.

The results were so so. I need to do it again but let it sit longer. The problem is I duct taped up the holes and they leak.

Has anyone done this before. What did you use to seal the tank up. I could cut a piece of rigid plastic, drill holes and rescrew petcock screws back into the tank. I don't want to be too creative if you have better suggestions. I'd like to leave it overnight.

I knocked the tank cap pin out and it ran away from home. I don't know where the hell it is. So the cap doesn't seal so I need a solution for all the openings.

Thanks!

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 06-13-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:33 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,494
iTrader: (10)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DeAngelo View Post
I used acid and flushed the tank into a mason tub. Used two pounds of baking soda to neutralize then dumped the water.

The results were so so. I need to do it again but let it sit longer. The problem is I duct taped up the holes and they leak.

Has anyone done this before. What did you use to seal the tank up. I could cut a piece of rigid plastic, drill holes and rescrew petcock screws back into the tank. I don't want to be too creative if you have better suggestions. I'd like to leave it overnight.

I knocked the tank cap pin out and it ran away from home. I don't know where the hell it is. So the cap doesn't seal so I need a solution for all the openings.

Thanks!
Home Depot and Lowes sell different cork, plastic and rubber stoppers of various sizes and some are designed with a wing nut that expands the rubber to obtain a tighter seal. Give them a try and you may solve the problem and they may also have a "roll pin" that will fit your gas cap. Good luck, Mike.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
Vulcan2000 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 07:49 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
 
OleDirtyDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norwich,NY
Posts: 16,015
iTrader: (0)
     
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I used acid too

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
OleDirtyDoc is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
Home Depot and Lowes sell different cork, plastic and rubber stoppers of various sizes and some are designed with a wing nut that expands the rubber to obtain a tighter seal. Give them a try and you may solve the problem and they may also have a "roll pin" that will fit your gas cap. Good luck, Mike.
I picked up a couple rubber stoppers and a flat rubber drain blocker. I'm going to rig it up tomorrow. Thanks for your advice. I would have never thought of it.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
I tried rubber template, hard plastic, and tinfoil. I'm wonder it I shove something in there to act like a sponge reducing the pressure on the opening...I just don't know.

It's leaking...I have gorilla tape and taped methodically with a piece of plastic on the opening with screws both in and out. No luck. Any ideas would be appreciated. I couldn't find an exact fit plug for any of the openings. I'm pulling my hair out. I wanted to fix my fender on my 900 today. I bought a fiberglass repair kit. I need to get this gas tank cooking first.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 07:27 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,494
iTrader: (10)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DeAngelo View Post
I tried rubber template, hard plastic, and tinfoil. I'm wonder it I shove something in there to act like a sponge reducing the pressure on the opening...I just don't know.

It's leaking...I have gorilla tape and taped methodically with a piece of plastic on the opening with screws both in and out. No luck. Any ideas would be appreciated. I couldn't find an exact fit plug for any of the openings. I'm pulling my hair out. I wanted to fix my fender on my 900 today. I bought a fiberglass repair kit. I need to get this gas tank cooking first.
How about getting a measurement and cutting a piece of 3/4" shelving and then using a silicone sealer. Maybe if you cut the wood on an angle so it is tapered a bit you will be more successful. Use a soft wood like pine which you can get a small piece at Home Depot or Lowes from their scrap cuts for minimal money if not free. Set a jig blade on a slight angle and if you are lucky you will have the attachment to cut a circle. If not you should be able to free hand cut on a pencil line and smooth that with a little sandpaper to get a seal. Good luck again.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
Vulcan2000 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
How about getting a measurement and cutting a piece of 3/4" shelving and then using a silicone sealer. Maybe if you cut the wood on an angle so it is tapered a bit you will be more successful. Use a soft wood like pine which you can get a small piece at Home Depot or Lowes from their scrap cuts for minimal money if not free. Set a jig blade on a slight angle and if you are lucky you will have the attachment to cut a circle. If not you should be able to free hand cut on a pencil line and smooth that with a little sandpaper to get a seal. Good luck again.
Thanks for your help brother. I ordered two new Yamaha petcocks for 13 dollars on Ebay. They are suppose to fit our 750s. Two for 13 bucks. Cant get any cheaper than that.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:13 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 2,494
iTrader: (10)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike DeAngelo View Post
Thanks for your help brother. I ordered two new Yamaha petcocks for 13 dollars on Ebay. They are suppose to fit our 750s. Two for 13 bucks. Cant get any cheaper than that.
I think I may have misunderstood you earlier. Are you trying to seal a leak when it is all assembled or while you are doing the internal acid bath? I thought you were trying to seal it for the acid bath so I am unsure about your purchase of the two new petcocks. Don't mind me as I have been pretty messed up of late. Must be advanced old age catching up all at once. Good luck and I would like to see what you have accomplished one of these days. Maybe we can also set up another local ride and get a few more people interested.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 06-15-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Vulcan2000 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:46 AM
Ndr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 856
iTrader: (10)
 
I did this, but just went with the gorilla tape myself. Leaked a little, but having expected this, I just kept the hose ready and sprayed what little leaked out.

I've thought about cutting some plastic pieces to seal up the holes if I ever do the acid wash again. Maybe use some O-rings under the plastic bits to get a better seal? Seems like it would be the best route to go in my opinion. (I would plan on using a el-cheapo dollar store cutting board)

I had really good results when I did my tank. Did you do a follow up coat with Navel Jelly after the acid? Supposedly, the Navel Jelly not only cleans the metal further, but the reaction leaves the bare metal more protected and prevents flash rust.

With the muriatic acid by itself, the metal flash rusts very quickly (within minutes)

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
Ndr is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mike DeAngelo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (3)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
I think I may have misunderstood you earlier. Are you trying to seal a leak when it is all assembled or while you are doing the internal acid bath? I thought you were trying to seal it for the acid bath so I am unsure about your purchase of the two new petcocks. Don't mind me as I have been pretty messed up of late. Must be advanced old age catching up all at once. Good luck and I would like to see what you have accomplished one of these days. Maybe we can also set up another local ride and get a few more people interested.
Yes, I'm trying to seal it for an acid bath. I tried my best to be creative but I have so much more to do on my other bike I don't want to spend any more time experimenting. The cheap petcock will be used to seal the petcock hole so I wont have to worry about fabricating a sealed cover for it even though I already tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndr View Post
I did this, but just went with the gorilla tape myself. Leaked a little, but having expected this, I just kept the hose ready and sprayed what little leaked out.

I've thought about cutting some plastic pieces to seal up the holes if I ever do the acid wash again. Maybe use some O-rings under the plastic bits to get a better seal? Seems like it would be the best route to go in my opinion. (I would plan on using a el-cheapo dollar store cutting board)

I had really good results when I did my tank. Did you do a follow up coat with Navel Jelly after the acid? Supposedly, the Navel Jelly not only cleans the metal further, but the reaction leaves the bare metal more protected and prevents flash rust.

With the muriatic acid by itself, the metal flash rusts very quickly (within minutes)
I didn't follow up with anything as I'm going to repeat the process.
I don't want those small leaks. I had those the first time and did use the hose. What a pain in the ass. I want to leave the tank sit for the day. I'm trying not to address the exterior of the tank right now so I don't want to get acid on it. IF it leaks again and I leave it I'm going to have a problem with the acid and the fact the tank acid level will drop. I bought two petcocks that fit and will seal the whole. Quantity two for 13 dollars.


I'm going to use POR-15 sealer after acid bath and flush. Jay Leno recommends it.

This tank has zero dents and two minor scratches caused by me. I'll sandblast it and paint it. Then maybe switch it with my current tank. My current 750 tank has a dent and minor rust inside the tank. I have two gas filters on the bike and I'd like to get them off.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
HID lighting 35 Watt White
Chrome Slotted oval Mirrors
Chilhowee Tank Bra
Barons Big Air Kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash staggered
EJK Gen 3 Electronic Jet Kit

1991 Vulcan 750 226 miles
Spiegler brake lines
rebuilt calipers, master brake cylinder

Last edited by Mike DeAngelo; 06-16-2015 at 06:53 PM.
Mike DeAngelo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome