Does it seem I experienced POOGS today? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Competent Noob

Does it seem I experienced POOGS today?

Hello guys. Was riding home from work today. Ran through 1 full tank of gas in the past with no fuel issues. This week as my second tank since I bought the bike and it was near the red line but not yet to it. I was going 70 down the highway and was nearing the exit where ibwas going to fuel up. Before I got there I lost engine power. The bike was running around 4500 rpm but when I gave it throttle, there was nothing there. The bike began to lose speed as if I were out of the throttle completely. I was so close to my exit but not close enough. I flipped on my hazards and rode the shoulder. Downshifter d a couple times and kept trying the throttle. All of a sudden I had power again and was able to accelerate a short way to the exit, up the ramp, stop, and then accelerate up into 3rd before getting to the gas station with no additional problems. I didn't think to see how much fuel I put in the tank but I filled it full. Rode about 7 miles home with no more issues. POOGS?

1995 Vulcan 750
Purchased 5/3/2015 w 10,600 miles
No mods I'm aware of
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 PM

Sounds like it may have been actual out of gas syndrome. Lol. How many miles did you have on the tank? I fueled up today with 86 miles on the tank, and it took 2.11 gallons. This included thirty miles of low speed learning, and about fifteen minutes of gas leak.

From what I gather about POOGS, it won't start running right until you let the tank breathe.

1991 VN750, purchased 5/5/15, 9092 miles
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Competent Noob

I didn't reset the trip but I bet i rode it about 125 miles all highwar or 55 mph back roads

1995 Vulcan 750
No mods I'm aware of

Last edited by DieselPlower; 06-05-2015 at 10:53 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:25 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPlower View Post
Hello guys. Was riding home from work today. Ran through 1 full tank of gas in the past with no fuel issues. This week as my second tank since I bought the bike and it was near the red line but not yet to it. I was going 70 down the highway and was nearing the exit where ibwas going to fuel up. Before I got there I lost engine power. The bike was running around 4500 rpm but when I gave it throttle, there was nothing there. The bike began to lose speed as if I were out of the throttle completely. I was so close to my exit but not close enough. I flipped on my hazards and rode the shoulder. Downshifter d a couple times and kept trying the throttle. All of a sudden I had power again and was able to accelerate a short way to the exit, up the ramp, stop, and then accelerate up into 3rd before getting to the gas station with no additional problems. I didn't think to see how much fuel I put in the tank but I filled it full. Rode about 7 miles home with no more issues. POOGS?
Do you remember if you were on the upside or downside of a hill? Could you have been so low on fuel that it was not feeding through properly? I know if I check my fuel gauge in my diveway I can get very different readings depending on which direction I am facing (uphill or downhill). If it happens again check your fuel valve and switch over to reserve. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Competent Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
Do you remember if you were on the upside or downside of a hill? Could you have been so low on fuel that it was not feeding through properly? I know if I check my fuel gauge in my diveway I can get very different readings depending on which direction I am facing (uphill or downhill). If it happens again check your fuel valve and switch over to reserve. Good luck.
I believe I was going slightly downhill at the time. Not really a hill at all though. I figured I'd be OK until the needle hit the red? Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. I'll not let it get so low or remember to switch to reserve.

1995 Vulcan 750
No mods I'm aware of
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Crowley

I never go over a hundred miles without filling. Stopped having this problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

sounds like you were right at the reserve inlet on the petcock. sure test would have been to switch to reserve (you can do this while riding if your careful/experienced at it, I have done it a couple times myself on way to get gas) and within a couple seconds, you have full power again. at least until you run all the way out.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
when mine hits close to the red it is ready for reserve, usually cuts out right before!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:28 PM

I just had the exact same problem. But my tank said about 3 quarters full. Only had 40 miles on it. Kept almost bucking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement