Engine stalls in high winds. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Engine stalls in high winds.

I bought this bike a few monthes ago.
It came with new Vance Hines cruzers, No baffles, Ears shaved, FOAM "Unifilter" air filters currently installed, &Carbs rejetted. It also has sealed blank covers where the stock emissions thingamabobs are.
I installed new Baffles and Glass wraps since it was too loud and had a total loss of mid range power.
The Mid range power is back since installing baffles but When I am just about to pass Semi trucks and catch that vaccume and push effect that they have, my engine stalls temporarily. It
also occurs on very windy days at interstate speeds.

Vance Hines tech. data indicates that no re-jetting is required so I will try to put the OEM jets back in.
Does anyone out there have any other ideas?
I would like to put the OEM air cleaners back on but I do not have them.\ and am finding it difficult to locate a complete set from the carb out.

Also...is there fuel injection throttle body kits out there for thesebikes?

Thanks,

DURT

P.S.
The best milage I can get out of it is around 38 mpg at 60-70 mph and I'm not a big guy. Whaddup wid dat???? Big Jets??!!

Last edited by joedurt; 05-31-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 04:15 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedurt View Post
I bought this bike a few monthes ago.
It came with new Vance Hines cruzers, No baffles, Ears shaved, FOAM "Unifilter" air filters currently installed, &Carbs rejetted. It also has sealed blank covers where the stock emissions thingamabobs are.
I installed new Baffles and Glass wraps since it was too loud and had a total loss of mid range power.
The Mid range power is back since installing baffles but When I am just about to pass Semi trucks and catch that vaccume and push effect that they have, my engine stalls temporarily. It
also occurs on very windy days at interstate speeds.

Vance Hines tech. data indicates that no re-jetting is required so I will try to put the OEM jets back in.
Does anyone out there have any other ideas?
I would like to put the OEM air cleaners back on but I do not have them.\ and am finding it difficult to locate a complete set from the carb out.

Also...is there fuel injection throttle body kits out there for thesebikes?

Thanks,

DURT

P.S.
The best milage I can get out of it is around 38 mpg at 60-70 mph and I'm not a big guy. Whaddup wid dat???? Big Jets??!!
Did you mention to the tech at V&H about the ear shave? Because rejetting is nessasary when you change the whole air intake flow on these cards. If you did mention that to him then he is in the right feild (Exhausts not Carbs). Your other question is yes thats about right for over sized jets to get that type of mileage.

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:15 PM

I have the complete air box, ears, and boots somewhere in my garage, I'll get back to you on that...

I too use the UniPod foam filters w/o rejetting with drilled goat. Spark plugs look OK, but pipes blued (common on a lean mix after pulling the reed valves). My mpg can be as high as 62mpg, with 52 being average (65-75 mph). I too under the right conditions have felt a momentary 'cutout' of power. It was suggested to me that it's the CV carbs - and I tend to agree with that theory - with individual filters. Wish they did make a manifold to mount one Mikuni on the side.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6

Last edited by dirtrack650; 05-31-2008 at 05:19 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:23 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

How were you able to adjust for the extra air intake?

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 05:59 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
There is a vent hose that went to the right side ear, if it gets a big blast of air the motor will stall,
Mke sure that hose is run to a place where it will not get to much air.
Hope this Helps.
Chad

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrizan View Post
How were you able to adjust for the extra air intake?
The UniFilter pods when oiled don't let as much air in as K&N's or other cotton filters of that type. Like I said, the plugs look ok and I have no backfire so I'm not worried about the mix too much. Leaving the goat on maintains additional back pressure to keep things cooler too. Besides, I'm starting to ride it like an old man anyway with gas $$$ going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
There is a vent hose that went to the right side ear, if it gets a big blast of air the motor will stall,
Mke sure that hose is run to a place where it will not get to much air.
Hope this Helps.
Chad
I removed that hose with the shave-no need for it. The CV carb issue on our bikes stems from the carbs opposite mounting direction (any other bike use this carb setup?). They work on air vacuum and when there is a difference in pressure, they must go out of sync for a moment causing the stutter in the engine. With the original air box, this is not an issue. BTW- for a smoother running engine with CV carbs I've always been told to leave the stock air box in place and your exhaust should have a balance tube (x-over pipe). I did the shave for looks more than performance.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I have made no adjustments other than installing the baffles and wraps.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

I think that got it!! Well, insofar as the high wind stalling situation.
As soon as I read you reply I went out, started the bike, set the idle around 2k and just blew a little puff of air into the hose you had mentioned.
Guess what?...it stalled immediately.

Thanks,

Keep the dirty side down,

Durt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement