Need help with carb sync - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Need help with carb sync

I am getting ready to do the carb sync using the $1.55 manometer from the yahoo group links, but haven't a clue as to how to hook it up? Can anyone out there hold my hand and let me know how to connect the two tube ends to the carbs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:01 PM

Re: Need help with carb sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by youn2433
I am getting ready to do the carb sync using the $1.55 manometer from the yahoo group links, but haven't a clue as to how to hook it up? Can anyone out there hold my hand and let me know how to connect the two tube ends to the carbs?
....look down the list of posts in this forum.

john m
Somewhere deep in OH....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Read that but still do not know exactly where to connect the hoses. I guess I need to do some studying to understand it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youn2433
Read that but still do not know exactly where to connect the hoses. I guess I need to do some studying to understand it?
Find the vacuum ports on the carb...
The front is easy...On the left side, it is where the short hose in the middle of the petcock (on/off/res) switch goes into the carb. Unplug this from the carb, and insert the hose into the leg of a barbed 1/4" hose 'T'. Another short hose goes from one end of the top of the 'T' back to the carb, and one side of your 'CarbStix' or what ever goes into the other end on top.

The rear cylinder, on the right side of the bike, is a little harder to find, but it is right there out in the open.
If you look at the carb, you will see a 1/4" hose that comes off it right next to the cylinder head...if the bike has not had the EPA stuff removed. This hose travels up the cylinder and under the seat...
The place where this hose attaches to the carb is the rear vac port. Remove it from the carb, and attach the other side of your CarbStix or whatever....
Hope this helps....

john m
Somewhere deep in OH....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: Need help with carb sync

OK so far....but the tubing on the manometer is i/8"id so do they make a 1/4 x 1/8 x 1/4 tee for tubing?

Ok solved myself by ordering a 1/4" barbed tee from smallparts.com
and reduced it with a 1/4x1/8 reducers to match with the homemade manometer. It worked surprisingly well just took some time as the adjustment is very very sensitive to touch and adjusting screw is a bear to get to.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Check me out now to see if this is correct. I'll be buying a 1/4'x1/8" tee and connect the tee to the hose from petcock to front carb, and one end of 1/8 manometer tube to the tee and the other 1/8" manometer tube to the rear carb vac port correct?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Carb sync help

I'm no expert but I think I finally have the carbs synced. You will need the tee to connect everything and its imperative that no leaks exist in the temporary connections. Once connected, suck on the line that would normally go to the carb. When you have vacuum close the opening with your tongue to seal it and watch the vacuum gauge to make sure vacuum holds. Also, you will need what I consider to be a regulator to smooth out the fluctuations in the gauges. Start the engine and open the regulators and the gauges will be wildly fluctuating. Slowly close the regulators so that you get steady readings on both gauges. As far as the adjustment, yes the screw is a real pain to access. What I did was to note the reading for the rear carb (that's the one you're adjusting), stop the engine and open the throttle so that the screw can be reached. Turn a half round or so (clockwise increases rear carb vacuum and vice versa) and start the engine and see where that got you. I did that several times and got the carbs synced.
Good luck with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement