Throttle bogs in gear - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Throttle bogs in gear

I'm having a similar problem to some threads on here, but its different enough to get a specific opinion. Here's the problem as it is right now:

When it started the throttle would bog down if I accelerated too hard. By the time I limped it home I couldn't give it ANY throttle or it would just cut out. I've partially cleared it up so it seems to run fine in the garage, but when I put it in gear the symptoms return. Pull on the clutch, even in gear, and it throttles just fine. Try to accelerate with anything beyond light throttle and it starts to bog around 4k. Opening the throttle completely just makes it die until it reaches about 1k and it comes back. When this problem started it would bog even in neutral standing still, so at least I've made progress! For me it all started on my 2nd tank of gas after sitting for the winter (during winter I stored it with a full, treated tank and empty carbs. Ran through that tank with no problems).

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Pulled spark plugs, no fouling. New plugs.
2. Drained fuel tank- no rust. Treated fuel (LOTS of seafoam. An older forum I read suggested 6x the mount listed on the bottle) and refilled.
3. Drained carbs, filled with seafoam and let sit for a week (went on vacation). Came back, emptied seafoam and it came out clear.
4. Disassembled petcock- VERY clean and no blockages.
5. Checked fuel lines, all clear.
6. Backblew carbs (can't remove the rubber intake boots though without stripping the screws).
7. Checked for POOGS (a problem I used to have on this bike), everything there looks fine.
8. Made sure carb vent hose to right ear was clear and cut to 45 degrees.
9. Checked air filters. They could use to be replaced, but the problem persisted even with them both removed.

My only real theory so far is bad fuel. But that's got to be some SERIOUSLY bad fuel. That or a blockage in the one of the jets, but I really really don't want to have to pull those things. I'm more mechanically inclined than your average joe but I really have no idea how to go about pulling these carbs.

Now that it at least limps along, I'm thinking I might drain this fuel out to just the reserve amount and ride to a gas station about a mile away and top it back off with fresh gas. Is there any hope that it really is just a bad tank of gas, given how much I've already treated it? What have I missed?

Last edited by bluguitar89; 04-02-2015 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:58 PM

Have you done anything to the bike by way of maintenance, repair, or modification shortly before the problem began? If so, let us know. That might focus attention on a specific area.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:23 PM

you said it could be a blockage in the jets, put you dont want to pull the carbs, then just do what i did and take the jets out with the carbs still on the bike, just takes a bit more then when it would having them out of the bike but it saves you the hassle of getting them out and back in.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
Matte black plasti-dip "paint" job.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

The only thing was storing it up for the winter. It sat for a few weeks before I brought it back out again. I drained the carbs and filled the tank with treated fuel, and plugged it into a battery tender.

Like I said before though, that first tank of treated fuel ran with no problems. It was only after I ran through it for about a week or so and went to the gas station to top it off again that any of this happened. I should point out that when I filled it up there were no problems on the way home, but the next day when I hopped on to go to work it started bogging right away.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousername View Post
you said it could be a blockage in the jets, put you dont want to pull the carbs, then just do what i did and take the jets out with the carbs still on the bike, just takes a bit more then when it would having them out of the bike but it saves you the hassle of getting them out and back in.
How do you pull the jets without pulling the carbs? This is where I enter unknown territory.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:18 PM

Do you happen to be in the New Jersey area? read about some bad fuel there not too long ago.

Try a tank with seafoam? The first treatment may have left some loose stuff floating in the bowl.

I think an angled screwdriver can be used, or a bit in a socket, to remove the bowls in place. Strip those screw heads and you're all done though, find just the right size phillips.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluguitar89 View Post
How do you pull the jets without pulling the carbs? This is where I enter unknown territory.
Check this thread
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...acing+main+jet

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, I might be able to borrow an angled screwdriver from the pops-in-law (nice to have him next door, the man is his own hardware store I swear).

Not in the Jersey area, central IL. I'm still hoping for bad gas. The same tank is still in there, but I've treated the sh*t out of it with seafoam.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM

my bike has done this in the past and after a big headache it turned out to be a bad kickstand switch also try cleaning the ignition switch as that will cause it too just a couple things to try before u tackle the carbs
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaney750 View Post
my bike has done this in the past and after a big headache it turned out to be a bad kickstand switch also try cleaning the ignition switch as that will cause it too just a couple things to try before u tackle the carbs
Kickstand switch makes a bit of sense actually, since it only does it in gear. Doesn't explain how it started, but I'll take a look at it. Monday I'll finally be able to spend some quality time with her and see what I can see. Got the mirror and angled screwdrivers today. I'm ready to get my girl roaring again and quit bumming rides from my wife!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement