I've posted my carburetor tales of woe here the last couple days, and tonight I finally got to pull them...
I don't know what the hell the last guy was thinking, (who opened them), but besides leaving little bits of shop rag throughout the carbs, and the float seats and needles, when he closed the carbs back up, rather than change the seals, he applied black RTV silicone to the old seals, and then closed up the carbs.
The RTV then oozed into the carbs, just like it does on the outside, and broke up into millions of little pieces, that again were found throughout both carbs.
Holy **** is all I can think to say, and what a
I am happy though, because I found the problem, and it took me less than two hours to get those suckers out, apart, and cleaned up. Gather up some seals, fuel line, (he jacked the old lines up too), and some filters, and it's back on the road. (oil change and spark plugs are a must right after the carbs install)
I also found my mystery coolant leak while I was in there; underneath that plastic head tube cover is that coolant "manifold" with the bleeder on top- (don't know the correct name)- anyway, 2 of the lines that connected to it had the clamps in place, but they were loose, and just flopping around on the hoses.
Almost back on the road!