Engine idles fast after running - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:02 PM

I also have had the same problem. I am still not sure if the problem has completely cured but it has not happened the last few times i have been out.
Another idea to check would be the choke. I would check to make sure that it is completely shutting off when you close it. If not that then i would refer back to a carb. clean. I have done alot of reading on these types of threads due to my problem which is identical to yours and they all refer to either an air leak or most likely a dirty carb. and something is sticking inside. So i would try that and if that's not it; when in doubt pull the carbs out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

I think that I have found the problem. Was talking to one of the mechanes at work about this and he said to spray the carb cleaner when it was fast idleing and see if it then slows back to normal. Tried it the other night an it work, brough the idle back down. He said that the carb boot has a small crack in the rubber. When the rubber is cold it seals up, when it gets hot, it opens up a little. The spray seals the crack back up. I guess that I need to get some new carb boots. While I have the carbs off, I will give them a good cleaning also.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Just a little tip for the future, tell us how old your bike is, how many miles , what has been added (or removed) and where you live.

If I had thought your bike was older, rather than suggest just checking the tightness of the carb boots I would have also suggested inspecting them for cracks...

Glad you solved the problem...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Knifemaker,
Just wanted to bounce this off of you. I took my bike for a spin..after adjusting the idle slightly up to about 1100 rpms....while riding ..it seemed a couple times the throttle didn't return fast enough to idle.....almost like it was sticking....is this common? i have an 05 750vn.....i was wondering what i should do if anything? other than that ..its running like a top after my ngk sparkplug/wire tune up and new mfb....

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Most of the time if the bike won't return back to normal idle after it is warmed up, but does so fine when cold, it is an air leak. Just like the OP stated, as the engine and all the rubber stuff around it warms, things expand and any pin hole in rubber boots, vacuum hoses etc. will open up. First thing to check "always" is your throttle cables, making sure they are free of any binding and returning the throttle to the stop. If all that is working smoothly, it just about has to be an air leak. On older bikes, many have discovered leaks in the hoses of the air switch which has been sitting on top of the engine for it's life, baking in a slow heating oven for years. Anyone here ever used a dehydrator to make jerky? Low heat over several hours makes the strip of meat dry out and bet brittle... I'm just saying...

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Calif Rider

Try a good dose of Sea Foam in the gas and a good ride, what about the air filters? Have they had a good cleaning lately. Just my 2 cents.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Eagle Riders 4146

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
Most of the time if the bike won't return back to normal idle after it is warmed up, but does so fine when cold, it is an air leak. Just like the OP stated, as the engine and all the rubber stuff around it warms, things expand and any pin hole in rubber boots, vacuum hoses etc. will open up. First thing to check "always" is your throttle cables, making sure they are free of any binding and returning the throttle to the stop. If all that is working smoothly, it just about has to be an air leak. On older bikes, many have discovered leaks in the hoses of the air switch which has been sitting on top of the engine for it's life, baking in a slow heating oven for years. Anyone here ever used a dehydrator to make jerky? Low heat over several hours makes the strip of meat dry out and bet brittle... I'm just saying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by weh44att View Post
Try a good dose of Sea Foam in the gas and a good ride, what about the air filters? Have they had a good cleaning lately. Just my 2 cents.
Reviving an old thread. I'm having the same issue with off and on fast idle...about 4K. Not sure it's a matter of cold v warm/hot engine as it will sometimes happen at start-up, a couple blocks from the house, or after riding several miles.

A few weeks ago I had the choke cable replaced after it broke some months ago. I'd noticed the problem right away, but at first it would idle around 2K, and so I really didn't think anything about it. It wasn't until researching this forum that I learned the optimal idle speed is 1050-1150 rpm. When I pull up to a light, sometimes it will high idle while other times it will idle around 1K. It wasn't until the past few days that it started to idle at even higher rpms. On the ride in to work this evening I was really noticing it. I was going down the road at about 2K rpms when I engaged the clutch to see what it would do...it went right up to 4K.

It's running well otherwise; no sputters or hesitation when accelerating or cruising - highway or city streets. Even though this is happening at start-up too with a cold engine I'll still check all the rubber for leaks. I've already purchased a recharging kit for the K&N filters, and will give them a thorough cleaning and coat of oil this weekend along with adding extra Seafoam into the tank. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's just dirty filters and/or something sticky. Any recommendations on the amount of Seafoam to add? I've heard that there is no "too much" amount, but kinda of nervous with adding an entire bottle without first getting some feedback from y'all.

Thanks, Jimmy Mac

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere; and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself."[/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

[I]'03 VN750 aka "Shelley"
42K Miles
Purchased July '16
Oil Changed - Shell Rotella 5W40
Radiator Flushed - Engine Ice
EMGO 19" Turnout Mufflers
Super Start AGM MF Battery (220 CCA)
K&N Air Filters - No Ear Shave
Stay tuned.....[/I]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Funny - I am the 2nd owner of my 86 Vulcan 750. I owned the same yr\model bike in 1990, at 20 yrs old. I loved it, but let it go because I just had to have that Ninja, lol. Now, at 47yo, and wiser, I nailed the same year, same model, in EXCELLENT shape, for a lowball of $800. Couldn't believe he took my offer! He bought it brand new in 1986, I even got the original title with 1 mile on it, lol. Both tires are brand new Dunlops. Oh, and it only had 24,500 original miles on a 31 year old bike! 1st thing I did once home was put in a little fresh gas, and took a 6 mile ride. Went pretty good. Registered the next few days, and proceeded to Napa to change plugs, and buy oil and filter. Bike had freakin Champion plugs.....Put in the infamous NGK's it called for, right in NAPA's parking lot. Performance and starting difference was instant! Only other thing I have done is install new auto cam chain tensioners from TOC. Absolutely silent now, VS just a hair of slap before the change. I must say though, like my bike in 1990, it is a finicky ride. You have to learn how to start it, and when to use choke, etc. If I shut if off, run in store, and come right back out, I use choke, and it instantly fires up. No choke equals a backfire, lol. 10 mins or so, no choke needed. Same as other bike in 1990. However, I have noticed the idle issue. After riding 10 or 15 miles, my idle is up to 1300-1400 rpm at a stop light, but if I just let out the clutch a tiny bit, not even enough to move, the idle drops down to 1100-1150rpm and stays there, idling smoothly. I see Seafoam is next to godliness, but never used it. I will be buying a can and dumping in tank to clean er out. No rust inside tank whatsoever. I also notice if I am cruising, and pull in the clutch, while coasting the RPM's don't drop as fast as I feel like they should. Seems they should drop right away, as I am disengaging driveline from engine by engaging clutch. Just curious if anyone has that infamous "Light bulb lighting up in your head" thing, guessing or knowing the symptoms and what I should do. I drive it every day, and love it, but strive to continually improve what I can. Any input is appreciated, Ride safe and watch those other people on the road! Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1986 750 Vulcan 2.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	40097  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:26 PM
I'm a rider

Garage
There are too many variables to high idle. Choke sticking, throttle sticking, carb boots leaking, etc.

The best way to eliminate it as quickly as you can is to test for internal or external issues. If theres a leak wd40 will find it. Start the bike and spray everything on the carbs listen for changes in idle.

If the bike doesnt change it isnt air, its fuel.

1981 KZ750
1988 Vulcan VN750 (red)
2005 Vulcan VN750 (silver)
(2) 1994 Vulcan VN750 (red)

Engineering solutions for the VN750 Community.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 09:05 PM
1985 VN-700

High idle

I believe mine was because of the choke not returning to off. One carb was sticking. Is really an idle enrichment valve and not so much a choke. The cable ad lever would return to off, but one enricher was not returning to bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement