Suggest a course of action please? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Suggest a course of action please?

Before I ghost ride my bike into a moving train....

I've owned the bike for 3 days now...

First, it runs rich, real rich. You can smell pretty much raw gas out of the exhaust, sometimes, it even throws it out of the pipes in the form of a mist you can actually see. And the gas mileage is just pathetic.

Starting it takes a little while, even after it's good an warm, and only been shut off for 5 or 10 minutes.

And this is the strangest thing now- two days ago while parked outside at work, it started leaking gas from the rear carb, a steady drip off the bottom, and it looked like it was oozing out of every port of the carb body. It was squeezing out of the boot, and running down the engine block like a small waterfall. It was loading the engine inside with gas as well. Soon, both carbs seemed to have major drips falling from the bottoms of them....fired the bike up, and got a good spray of fuel out both pipes. I rode it home, and it hasn't done this since. (sat out in the hot sun that day at work, but I thought thats what vents were for)

I just bought this bike. the guy said he had been in the carbs before, told me how hard they were to take off, but said he was just cleaning them, and you can tell by looking at the screwdriver marks all over them, that they've been worked on.

Anyway, can you suggest a specific check, or should I just remove and completely teardown? (the complete teardown was my plan and why I was looking for kits).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

a little more info-

I ran the bike about 5 minutes or so earlier today, and just went out to it again, and the rear carb again has a real steady drip off the bottom. Its hard to tell exactly where its coming from because there is gas all over the thing.

I heard that pipe bluing and popping on decceleration indicates lean, but the pipe on the rear is blue, I do have the popping, but inside my pipes are black, wet like. Clearly mine is rich.

I have Jardine pipes on it, which are not supposed to need jets, (from what I've learned online)

My air filters are a joke. Somebody trimmed up some plastic brillo pad or felt like stuff, and secured it with velcro, so there is no incoming air restriction.

I'm pretty confused by it all....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stressed.gif
Views:	13
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	798  

Last edited by 750Doug; 04-26-2008 at 05:22 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:22 PM

I'd suggest opening both carbs and at least a good thorough cleaning, did he do an ear shave or just not get new air filters?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm not familiar with the ear shave. How can you tell at a glance if it's been done?

I have no clue what happened to this bike before me, or why they were really in the carbs. I don't believe for a minute it was just to clean them, like he said, which reminds he, he got the title in his name only about a month ago. And this is probably why. LOL
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:18 PM

no air filter boxes
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Oh, ok. Well I have those. Tomorrow I'll try to snap some pics of these lame a** filters somebody made...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Search Goddess

Check your petcock. The older petcocks have Reserve, On and Prime. Newer petcocks have Reserve, On and Off.
The Prime on the older ones allow a free flow of gas, which might explain your seeping when it is just sitting there.
The lever should be going straight up and down to be set to "On"

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Old Fart

Garage
What Dianna said.

You seem to have a sticky float valve.(which would explain your rich condition) Pull the fuel line off the offending carb and unscrew the drain bolt. Spay a ****load of Gumout carb cleaner down the fuel line. (put a rag under the carb to collect it as it drains)

Re attach the line and turn the drain bolt back in. See if that helps...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for those tips. Easy repairs always seem to elude me, but I'm gonna try like hell. LOL.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:34 PM

I had a similar problem last year. One of my carbs would fill up with gas and leak out the intake. Had so much fuel running thru the carb it started leaking out the bottom of my exhaust pipe too.

Turns out that there was a small chunk of fuel line that wedged itself on to of the needle valve, so that gas flow never shut-off. The carbs are a real pain to get out. Fairly easy to clean and rebuild once they are out. I called the dealer and they do not sell "rebuild" kits. All parts are sold individually. I purchased all new o-rings in advance, since it was a 1993 that sat for many years in the garage. Everything else inside looked brand new, just needed a little cleaning and rinse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement