Let's start the adventure! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Let's start the adventure!

Hey guys,
With the encouragement of a fellow vulcaneer I'm keeping the bike and going to gain a little experience and confidence along the way. I'll start with an easy one. I went out yesterday to take a peek inside the gas tank. I put the key in, turned and almost broke the key. The gas tank would not budge. I played around with that for a little until I figured I'd break the key and start a whole new mess of things. Any ideas as to why my gas cap won't turn? Rusted shut? Any suggestions? I was hesitant on putting WD 40 in as I don't want to explode, die, mess up the bike, or a combination of the above. Any and all help is appreciated x's 10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Try some PB Blaster - you can kinda zap it around the keyed entry and the cap (if I remember, the locking bracket is at 12 o'clock). You can also then GENTLY - with a rubber mallet and some soft cloth in-between - tap the cap a little just to loosen things. You may get a little Blaster in your tank, but, hey, it's combustable!

Also...well, you've put gas in the tank before, but I was gonna ask (only 'cause I've done it), do you have just the one key for your ignition, gas cap, and trunk?

C
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

boy Cindy we are talkin' a lot the past couple of days! haha! Anyways, I have one key for ignition and tank and another for the trunk...which I don't have anyway.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 09:43 PM

On my bike the key will only open the cap if you have it in the correct way...It looks like it is the same on both sides, and it will go in both ways, but on my bike it will only turn the lock one way.
As for the PB Blaster, you have to be careful where you use that stuff because it will dissolve plastics......I would recommend going with the WD-40 or just some good old oil....Let it soak a bit, then try the key again.
Tapping it gently with a rubber mallet may giggle things inside a bit so it's worth a try.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
boy Cindy we are talkin' a lot the past couple of days! haha! Anyways, I have one key for ignition and tank and another for the trunk...which I don't have anyway.
I think it's that time of year! I had a crummy ride to work today (noted elsewhere), but came home, cinched up a few bolts, fixed the headlight (the bolts had fallen out of the bucket, so aside from the bulb going out, the bucket was just kinda hanging on there), and read some more about my new coolant "issue." I think I've bought three mechanical seals from Ayers now...the first one had an "unfortunate accidental encounter" with my sledgehammer ; the second one came apart in O's engine with whatever crud was floating around in there. And now I'm gonna have to get a new one for McK. I really hated the book "Zen and the Art o' Moto Maintenance," but I can certainly appreciate the overall sentiment about how much "tweaking" these things need!

BTW, scuba's right that PB Blaster is strong stuff - I don't recall any plastic parts on the gas cap itself (all the washers are rubber and everything else I can recall in there is aluminum), but if you're more comfortable with WD-40 or some other water displacement substance, by all means give that a try. Also, once you get the cap open, you can take it off the tank (two small screws there at the back - just don't lose those microscopic o-rings) and give it a thorough going-over (check the gaskets, make sure the locking mechanism is moving smoothly with whatever lubricant you use, etc.).

C
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to hear about the troubles Cindy. :-( Hey, let me ask you this...how far down does your key go into the cap? I think I may have something stuck inside that bugger....which would be FANTASTIC! But I'm not sure... I'll mail you a cookie if you take a pic? :-D Or....maybe some Trader Joe's green tea with blueberry and pomegranate?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Sorry to hear about the troubles Cindy. :-( Hey, let me ask you this...how far down does your key go into the cap? I think I may have something stuck inside that bugger....which would be FANTASTIC! But I'm not sure... I'll mail you a cookie if you take a pic? :-D Or....maybe some Trader Joe's green tea with blueberry and pomegranate?
Woohoo! I'm going to take pics now (gotta get one of my coolant leak, too, so I can get some advice on that). Back in a flash (no pun intended!).

C
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 PM

Here ya go, Mike. You'll see from the pics that the key doesn't go in very far (I was actually surprised...I was thinking it went in further than that). Also, "The lock part" pic shows the latching mechanism inside the cap that should move freely when you turn the key. I'm guessing that there's some crud built up in there that's making it stick. Not that there's crud in our gasoline supply or anything...

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 10-05-2008 at 07:50 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Cindy! You're awesome! You've come through once more!! Thank you so much. Ok. So my key is in good shape it IS something with the lock...I'll have to dig out the WD-40....Or maybe liquid wrench...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:45 AM

If your key doesn't work, you can get the cap off by punching out the pin at the hinge point. If all else fails you can take it to a locksmith to have it looked at.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse