airbox removal - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

airbox removal

OK , I've taking every thing loose from the air box but I can't get the box out of the frame, I need to remove it to change the choke cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:36 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

The only way to pull the airbox without cutting it out is to remove the engine IIRC. Plus, you should **not** have to do so to replace the choke cable. I replaced mine with the box on the bike.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

No I shouldn't have to, but po broke the cable and just pulled the casing off and pulled the cable out the left side of engine, I just want to make sure I route it properly

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I tried to take pics for you, but they didn't turn out very well. Clymer's makes a big deal out of "following the string" but I think there's a little more flexibility. Coming out of the left hand grip, run the cable along the inside of the wiring harness that goes to the headlamp, indicator lights, etc. Then you should be able to run it under (someone check me) the front coil, along the frame, and then down to the carbs. Once you're at the carbs, it goes through along the horizontal (between the carbs) and the cable end hooks into that linkage. Make sure to put maximum slack in the cable -you'll need every bit of it. But AJ's right, that it can be done without removing much of anything - just take a few deep breaths along the way and it will go in.

I can try pics again, if you can just let me know where you're getting stuck on the routing...

C
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I got the cable in and now it looks like theres a mounting bracket of some kind missing off the engine or something by the looks of the engine end of the cable, but I've decided to do an ear shave and have already ordered air filters and am getting 140 mains and 40 jets next pay, so I'm cutting the air box out and am going to make custom covers for the reed valves
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Undercover Sportbiker

post up a pic. One of us should be able to help you out with it. lord knows I've my tank has been off more than it's been on the bike in the last few months...

There should be a bracket (IIRC) on the left (as you sit on it) side of the bike/engine where the cable "hooks" to, and then the ball end goes into the receiver a little farther on. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow - I just put all the babies (bikes) to bed...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

From the Gallery, here's a pic that shows the bracket on the carbs through which you feed the cable: https://www.vn750.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=680 It's the triangular piece towards the upper left. The cable inserts through there, through the carbs, and then hooks in on the other side. You shouldn't need anything on the frame to run the choke cable through - are you missing this triangular piece?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Yep thats whats missing, guess its a trip to the boneyard for me!!!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

If I read the diagram properly, the part number is 11044-1152 and the price at RA is $16. Funny story about that part - when I replaced my choke cable way way back (in October 07) I actually forgot to seat the end of the cable in that bracket. Gee, why isn't my choke working?....

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the help all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement