Uni PK-92 vs Emgo vs. K&N vs?? Ear shave... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Uni PK-92 vs Emgo vs. K&N vs?? Ear shave...

Ok, so while tracking down an issue (posted in another thread) I broke part of one of the ears. I'd already been thinking about an ear shave, for performance, looks, and ease of access to the carbs.

I've done a lot of reading here and it seems most are running 140F/142R main jets and 40 pilots, 2 shims under each jet. Does this sound right?

I ride a lot in the rain, and the bike sits outside at school - so the filters will get some rain on em... It seems like this could be a problem with both the K&N and Emgo's (oiled cotton) but not so much with the Uni (oiled foam)... or am I talking outta my rear here?

Any suggestions welcome. My elevation is 200 feet, but I somewhat regularly hit the coastal range (1500-5000 feet) and the coast (sea level of course). Not sure how that'll affect what my jetting "aughta be" but figured I'd mention it.

Any pointers on where to get the stuff to do this would be great as well (yeah I can use google too, but nothing's like word of mouth)

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:03 PM

Hi Curtis,

We're not too far apart for climate and elevation so here you go.

I've shaved, but wish I hadn't now because of intake noise and rain. I've been riding this week in the rain (today is nice) and your filters will get wet. When I park, I cover with a cheap tarp to keep as much water out as I can (including the oil sump breather filter) The foam Uni's might last longer than the others on the market and may shed water better. Our dirt bike shops only sell the foam replacement or foam socks for the playdays in the rain and mud.

You do not need to shim up the tank with the foam filters, they just bend a bit no problem.

You will notice more intake noise when you open up the throttle, a sound I really don't care for - I'd rather hear the exhaust.

I use a drilled goat with 18" glass packs and have good looking plugs so I've not re jetted. I think I'll raise the needle one washer for a slightly richer midrange with stock jets. I have no backfire (can indicate lean mix) so I'm not too concerned. I do have less power at 5k feet, but that's a carb system thingy.

BTW today was 34 degrees and foggy for 32 miles at 70 mph. That wakes me up in the morning and the bike is a mess.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6

Last edited by dirtrack650; 03-05-2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add something
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis97322 View Post
Ok, so while tracking down an issue (posted in another thread) I broke part of one of the ears. I'd already been thinking about an ear shave, for performance, looks, and ease of access to the carbs.

I've done a lot of reading here and it seems most are running 140F/142R main jets and 40 pilots, 2 shims under each jet. Does this sound right?

I ride a lot in the rain, and the bike sits outside at school - so the filters will get some rain on em... It seems like this could be a problem with both the K&N and Emgo's (oiled cotton) but not so much with the Uni (oiled foam)... or am I talking outta my rear here?

Any suggestions welcome. My elevation is 200 feet, but I somewhat regularly hit the coastal range (1500-5000 feet) and the coast (sea level of course). Not sure how that'll affect what my jetting "aughta be" but figured I'd mention it.

Any pointers on where to get the stuff to do this would be great as well (yeah I can use google too, but nothing's like word of mouth)
Make it "under each needle"; I don't think I'd shim the jets...

I'm using 140 mains (both carbs), 40 pilots, and one shim under each needle head, and the Uni filters; no problems with rain, and I've ridden in a lot of it. I've had the ears shaved two years next month, and didn't shim the needles 'til last April, a year after I did the shave. Ran fine without the shims, _slightly_ better midrange accel with them.

I'm at ~40 feet ASL, but ride a lot up to 2500-3000; no problems.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Hehe... 32 degree riding certainly does wake one up...

I'm not too concerned about the intake sound... heck, I think I'll kinda like it - and if not, I ride with earplugs on any longish rides (should on my short rides).

I probably will re-jet if I end up doing the shave - but it's comforting to know that I can probably get away with not being re-jetted if I can't find the jets local/ get the wrong ones sent online.

Now the great debate is whether I replace the ear piece or ear shave. I'm convinced that the rear air boot (connecting air box to carb) has been causing some of my issues with the rear cylinder - it seemed to be a bit stretched/ skewed, and even after a bunch of screaming I couldn't get the darn thing on perfect... just good enough... so I'm thinking that I'd have to replace that too if I don't ear shave...

Thing is, I'm a lazy bastard but I still ride in the rain (I.E. the filters will be rained on for a few hours at a time while I'm in class if it's raining). Though come to think of it - they won't stick out that much if the bike's on the centerstand will they?

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

If you need parts from the ear system, I still have all of mine Except the air box, which I have small pieces of.....

FTR - I did not rejet initially after the shave, contrary to popular advice. The only issue I really noticed was that it wouldn't rev over like 4500 when cold. Once it was warmed up things went fine. Then I dropped the bike.

I have since rejetted with 40 / 138 (mama kawi ordered the wrong freakin jets) and 2 shims. After I replaced my coil (last night) she fired right up. The new jets definitely changed the running condition. Of course, so did having actual spark in the rear cyl....

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 03:39 PM

Good point AJ, there is a slight 'flat spot' in the power band around 4k if you don't jet with the shave. Like I said earlier, I'm going to lift my needles with one spacer to try to correct it.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I also noticed some coloration on my right pipe. Not blue, per se, but a rainbowish kinda thing. Of course, I only had it running for like a week and only put about 20 miles on it before the disaster.... I wouldn't go so far as to say you do not have to rejet after the shave, because there are members here who say otherwise, and any one of them has like 10X my level of experience wrenching on bikes. I will say that I have learned that carbs are pretty much bike-specific, and you can **get away** with not re-jetting after an ear shave. I'm not saying it's a good idea, or that there aren't going to be issues. My bike ran without rejetting, but I never had the time to do a full / lengthy evaluation and see if it ran well.

Last edited by AJCruzin; 03-06-2008 at 04:22 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 PM

My pipe blued straight away but it's more due to pulling the fresh air reed valve out that pumped cool air into the exhaust header. The cool air kept our already lean mix bikes from messing up the chrome so if you marble or pull everything off w/o jetting, headers will turn colors. I'm wrapping the pipes asap anyway; I like the look and it does have function.

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
85 VN 700

Ended up getting the PK-92, 140 main F/142 main R, 42 pilots. 2 shims under front, 3 under rear needle (I don't know why I did that... one was in there so I left it there... will probably pull it out so there's 2 under each, see if that gets rid of the hesitation at roll-off)

I like the new sound, and I definitely like the increase in power.

Only issue is a slight hesitation/stumble at high rpms when I back off the throttle - not sure what's causing that. Smells a tad bit rich at idle, no idea of course how it smells when I'm cruising ;-)

I'll tell ya what though... she can certainly do a wheelie now (or so I'd.. um... assume ;-)) Won't know for a day or two if my milage was affected either way, but it was pretty crappy to begin with.

Curtis - Albany Oregon.

Ammo Can Saddlebags

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM

My guess is too rich. Ride some I-5, take an exit and KILL the engine so it doesn't idle. Pull a front and rear plug and check the color. If you have blackness or soot, you're too rich. I'd like to see a pict if you do this.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse