Vacuum line Petcock - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Vacuum line Petcock

Hi from downunder. Bought a 1986 VN two weeks go, stumbled on this forum and have made a few mods to my bike already( de-goat, tune, battery ect.) Bike was only released in Australia for one year (1986) so parts and info are very hard to come by.

The vacuum hose from the petcock to the left carb was split so I replaced it. I then noticed that the brass nipple on the right carb had been blocked off. I bought some more hose and a t piece and joined both to the petcock.

Have I done the right thing here or should I have left it blocked off, or not connected it to the petcock as well? I am having a lot of popping in the right hand side exhaust only. I have tried the mixture at various settings from 1.5 turns to 3.5 turns and nothing seems to make any difference.

I think I have some issues with that carb but I will track it down eventually. So I guess my question really is have I done the right thing by connecting both vacume lines to the petcock.

One more thing, I believe that these bikes were released here with no emission gear. No reed valves ect because I have nice crome covers where they should be.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 10:47 AM

G'day Mate,

I have a few friends who are Aussie (in SA) . The popping is during decel? That should be normal from both pipes. it sounds like one of the carbs may need to be cleaned. Did you rejet? You don't need to unless you did the ear shave. We run seafoam through the gas to help clean the carbs but you may need to remove them and clean them by hand.

Anymore Ideas from the forum? these guys and gals are very smart with these things so they should be able to help more than I can. I'm kinda new to this bike myself.

Cheers mate

James
1985 vn700 (T'Plana)
Gremlin bell
HD-O shield
saddlebagged
custom made supports
tool bag
extended backrest
Protac backrest
Highway pegs
custom mirrors
custom grips
V&H cruisers
lever covers
DieHard AGM
Kuryakin battery gauge
and LED taillights
marbled

VROC #27169
Tn VROC #134

www.youtube.com/thetrueliljd

Last edited by liljd; 02-29-2008 at 10:55 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Nuccio;

Connecting both nipples to the petcock seems to work well on the 1500A; I haven't been able to get it to work worth a crap on a 750. I'd suggest going back to one vac line to the petcock, and pluggin' off the right side like it was. Then check the exhaust header gasket at the front cylinder; if it ain't sealing, it's letting air in and will cause it to pop, as will a leaky gasket at the nipple on the right side of the cylinder head at the exhaust port (where we "coaster", or "marble") above the exhaust header.

Whereabouts downunder are you? Toa, over on the North Island in Kiwiland, had a 750, a well customized one at that. If you sign up with VROC (www.vroc.org), then go to Web Forum under Discussion groups on the left hand side, scroll down to Local VROC Groups, and Down Under VROC is the first one. I _think_ Jazz had a 750 at one time, too, and I'm pretty sure someone else on the group in Australia has one.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I believe Ozkaw is our other Aussie 750 Vulcaneer.

JD is right about blocking off the rear carb vacuum nipple. It's for the emissions junk that you obviously don't have. It's just fine blocked off and won't hurt anything.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I blocked off the right carb nipple and only have the left connected now. Hasn't made any difference in the right hand side popping on decel though. Getting new pipes put on this week so I will be replacing the exhaust gaskets and will work it out from there.

Have a feeling the bike currently does not have exhaust gaskets so popping could be due to air leak.

Also had a problem where the bike would not rev past 5000 rpm. I took off my fuel tank today to find that it had two in line fuel filters, fuel filters that are for a lawn mower!

Needless to say I can now rev to 7500 no problems now.

Also I live in Brisbane, the best city in Australia!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I was in Brisbane last year for a Naval exercise called Talisman Sabre. I really enjoyed Brisbane while I was there. It's a great place.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement