Emissions are killing me - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Undercover Sportbiker

Unhappy Emissions are killing me

I've read and reread tons of posts on the emissions crap that are on CA bikes, and I'm still stumped. Does anyone from outside of CA have the rectangular box and round (looks like a fuel filter almost) can behind the coolant reservoir?

After having done the ear shave, I find myself left with a bunch of hoses that go nowhere..... There's also a mystery hose that is connected to the underside of the fuel tank which has never been hooked to anything but I'm guessing it should be?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Old Truck Junkie

You are probably asking about the air valve for the hoses that go to the sides of the head. Since you are in Cal. you best marble and plug the hose that goes to the rear carb.

The mystery hose in more than likely the over-flow from the fuel tank.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Pictures would help....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Undercover Sportbiker

Yeah - I didn't think to take a pic before I hooked the tank back up. And I had a thought - maybe the hose isn't really coming out of the tank. Something I may have mentioned before is that the vacuum equalization hose from the center of the carbs that was supposed to go to the right ear was and is missing. I have the two oses oming off the carbs but they end at the T. Nothing is hooked up after that. My thinking is that maybe the hose that should be there somehow got pulled out of the ear and then by some quirk got stuck to the bottom of the tank, causing it to pull off of the T when I pulled the tank the first time back in OCT when I first got the bike. I know, I know, it's a stretch.... I may reach under there and give her a not so gentle tug to see if it's just stuck to the tank as opposed to actually connected to it. After studying the schematics for the evap system, it looks like I can pull the canister (rectangle) and the seperator (round) and just reroute the 2 lines from the back of the tank down to the bottom of the bike. Agree?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

When I lived in Ca, I was told that any modifications to the EPA systems on an engine would result in a heavy fine when emissions inspection time came. They even checked for everything under the hood when I got the inspections done! How are you getting around that or was I just told a big lie?

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Rider View Post
When I lived in Ca, I was told that any modifications to the EPA systems on an engine would result in a heavy fine when emissions inspection time came. They even checked for everything under the hood when I got the inspections done! How are you getting around that or was I just told a big lie?
I believe you may be right. When I was in San Antonio I had to reinstall my factory air filter before I could get my safety inspection sticker. The inspector said "when you get home you can take it back off."
This was for my truck not the bike. Here in Roby every thing goes.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Undercover Sportbiker

Look out for the green police!

I am not aware of any requirement for emissions testing for MCs at the moment in CA. Not to say that it won't happen eventually, but I don't think that it's required yet.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Undercover Sportbiker

I just looked at the California Air Resources Board (CARB) web site and they claim that MCs pollute 15 times more per mile than the average new car or light truck. BTW - hopefully everyone is aware that CARB is changing its name to ARB. They intend to bring the same kind of shenanigans to the national level since they've pretty well beat the crap out of CA bike owners.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruzin View Post
I just looked at the California Air Resources Board (CARB) web site and they claim that MCs pollute 15 times more per mile than the average new car or light truck.
I'm not an environmental technician but how is this possible? My bike gets twice the MPG of my car, and three times my brother's SUV.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:26 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

MPG and pollutants = different things. I'm guessing that in general the emissions standards on motos are much lower than for cars (altho' maybe not in CA). But as someone noted earlier, the fines - at least in MD - for messing around with the emissions controls are supposedly astronomical. Which makes me think that the "standard" junk coming out of our tailpipes is already bad enough (i.e., the fines are intended to keep it from being any worse than it is).

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement