Throttle cable help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
King Noob

Throttle cable help

I am replacing my throttle cables and am wondering if there is a trick to replacing the cable that closes or something to make it a little easier. I am having a bear of a time trying to do it while the carbs are in place and I am not feeling brave enough to pull the carbs right now as I need my bike to get back and forth to work, the plates on my car expired and I didn't realize it since I have only been riding my bike since July. Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida
1995 Vulcan 750 "Frankenstein"
It's Alive!! First ride around the block 28 July 07

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:06 AM
85 VN 700

your pennance will be three sh*%sand four Fu$%s my son...

errr...

A lot of time and creativity coupled with assorted screwdrivers and needle nose pliers will do the job...

seriously though... get the $%35 thing in the socket for the carb before getting it anywhere else (I.E. the grip... the little place down by the carbs...etc..)

Sorry if I'm unclear.... this is typed after a rum and coke and three ... yes three AMF's... (company xmas party).

Curtis - Albany Oregon.
Currently receiving therapy from "Doc" - My 1985 VN700.

Daily rider in NorthWET Oregon.
Ammo Can Saddlebags
Shaved and Rejetted. Coastered. Degoated w/ Hardley pipes.

Bought Feb 2007 with 12K miles.
Hit the 24k mile July 2008

http://photobucket.com/curtis97322
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
King Noob

Okay I got it on by bending the cable a little so that when I got the little knob in place then the cable slid into place.

Now I am now having a different problem. The cable that closed the throttle has been broken since I bought the bike so the throttle felt and acted very different then now that both have been replaced. I am not sure that I have the screws holding the cables onto the carbs adjusted correctly. The throttle is very stiff and doesn't want to deaccelerate correctly...seems to want to throttle high. Any suggestions?

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
King Noob

I adjusted the screws and the metal part that spins up at the top of the cables where they go into the grip and now I don't seem to have a problem with it sticking on deacceleration. I am not sure how the screws need to be adjusted that hold the cables onto the carbs. I think they are okay but my rpms seem higher then before and I am not sure if that is just the difference of having both cables working or if it is an adjustment issue. I can say that my bike runs ALOT better. I took it out for a quick spin and I have a lot more power then I had before and it seems to run better. Prior to replacement it seemed as if my fuel flow or air intake was off on acceleration because my bike would sputter a bit if I got onto it but now there is no sputter and runs very smoothe when I get on it. Any suggestions on the higher rpm's? Is that just because both cables are now working or does it need to be adjusted some more?

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hey, Kirk - I'm wondering if your cables aren't a little tight now. On a stretched cable (your old one), the way to get the cable to work was to back off the locknut up by the RH controls, back OUT the adjusting barrel, and then close down the locknut again. With a new cable, you might want to make sure that up by the RH controls, everything is turned in as tight as can be - and then loosen from there. The higher rpms suggests that maybe you're running with the throttle just a tad open. And the closing cable shouldn't really improve performance so much as just provide a back-up plan for when the open cable goes wonky.

Sorry, one more thought: down by the carbs, with a new cable you want the end of it (the threaded part) to be IN the throttle plate as far as possible. Then, as the cable stretches, you'll loosen the locknuts and turn OUT the cable to tighten it up again. So check that, too.

And if I'm not being clear, holler and I'll take some pics and try it again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
King Noob

Thanks Cindy, I think the adjustments I made are working themselves out. I have ridden a couple of time since making them and its easing in now. The cables are used that I picked up off of ebay but I think that they came off of a fairly new bike. I think you are correct about them being a little tight but they seem to be going god now. I can't believe the difference it made having both operational. I am glad I finally had the time to put them on. I have had them sitting around for about 2 months now lol. Now its time to move on to the broken speedo cable. I will definetly go new on that one since it isn't budget breaking.

Curtis, what a pain that was but I am glad its done. Sounds like you had some fun lastnight at your Christmas party.

Kirk
Mount Dora, Florida

Starting Milage 21,097
Current Milage 24,238
Sponsored Links
Advertisement