Filling main tank with pump from Aux tank - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Proud Owner of '99 VN 750

Filling main tank with pump from Aux tank

Alright so I'm VERY Excited, Tour tanks new design for their new generation tanks look extremely promising. Mine came into and carries roundabout 4 gallons. That being said. I was considering gravity feeding to my carb but I may change my mind depending on the answer to my following question. I notice I have two openings where my seat meets my fuel tank. One has a hose (the one on the left sitting on the bike) I haven't checked where this goes. And one on the right that is capped off. Is there a way I can buy a electric pump like the ones mr.gasket sells off the shelf in an auto part store and fill up my main tank through one of these openings using my Tour Tank and then just shut the pump back off (if so how would I hook it up persay) Here is a link to a generic pump . Also I would ultimately end up using a toggle switch, get off the road, hit the switch to the pump, fill the tank, switch it off and get back on the road (id open the gas cap to watch it fill up safely)http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0515&ppt=C0128

Below are pictures of the new Tour Tank installed on my bike

Last edited by furikazashi; 07-17-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: fixed the second picture link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:27 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

We all need to stretch our legs every hour or so and our tanks are good for 2+ hours so why the super large tank???...... While I also wish we had a bit larger tank I doubt you'd be happy with the altered handling with 40 lbs (tank with fuel) perched over your rear wheel.
Yes, It'd doable with gravity feed but (unless fuel manages to flow through the main tank's vent tuba and cap) but if your second tank's fuel level is higher than your main tank you could end up opening your main tank to fuel up and have fuel spill out the main tank's fill hole. This assumes that your second tank doesn't force fuel out through your main tank's vent tube.

You've got 3.6 gallons.in your bike, your car has roughly 15 gallons... accept it and ride on.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I'm going on 7 hour ride in mid-september, that being said there is a stretch of interstate that would leave a car stranded if a)they didn't fill up at the ONE gas station available before the stretch or b) the gas station was closed. I've taken the trip several times worried each time on account the terrible odds. the price and quantity of the tank vs the price of the closed emergency tanks brings up the results that its just best to strap up with the tour tank and remove it when at my destination. I could hand pump it worst case scenario. Was just hoping not to as there is no good way to store the hand pump with fumes anywhere it wont spread. I believe the strip is around 150 miles (literally) so about an 2.5 hour ride with no gas. my bike gets to about 100 then reserve tank then maybe 20 tops unacceptable to use emergency 12oz cans.

Last edited by furikazashi; 07-17-2014 at 01:16 AM.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 07:03 AM
Senior Lurker

Furikazashi, I've toyed with with idea of a tour tank before and done a little reading from others who have used them. There has been more than one story of the higher tank over filling the lower main tank. Most people use a T fitting in the fuel line and an extra fuel valve to control the gas from the extra tank. One way check valves are not very expensive and might do the trick too.

Everyone made the connections at the fuel line, not at the tank vent. I'd say the vent is there for a reason, don't mess with it.

Post pics and enjoy your long trip!

-Sloppy

My Flickr Gallery < Link >
Westco MF battery, R/R relocated
Küryakyn LED battery monitor
Kawasaki F&S luggage rack, bag supports & headlight visor
Splines lubed at 700 miles (they were dry from the factory!)
Anodized black SuperBrace fork brace < Link >
Mutazu GA hard saddlebags < Link >
Kawasaki F&S floorboards < Link >
Chrome Küryakyn wide brake and clutch levers < Link >
Clear Alternatives LED tail light board
National Cycle N2220 Windshield
R.I.P. Lance328
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 07:18 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furikazashi View Post
I'm going on 7 hour ride in mid-september, that being said there is a stretch of interstate that would leave a car stranded if a)they didn't fill up at the ONE gas station available before the stretch or b) the gas station was closed. I've taken the trip several times worried each time on account the terrible odds. the price and quantity of the tank vs the price of the closed emergency tanks brings up the results that its just best to strap up with the tour tank and remove it when at my destination. I could hand pump it worst case scenario. Was just hoping not to as there is no good way to store the hand pump with fumes anywhere it wont spread. I believe the strip is around 150 miles (literally) so about an 2.5 hour ride with no gas. my bike gets to about 100 then reserve tank then maybe 20 tops unacceptable to use emergency 12oz cans.
100 miles before having to switch to the reserve? I would look into that situation first before trying the aux. tank setup. Most here are getting 40 or 50+ mpg depending on their particular setup (stock vs. modifications). I also agree with the added 40 lbs mounted on the rear rack you can have some handling issues with fuel movement from bumps and turns.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I think the safest way to go would be gravity fed. Honestly if you're going to pull over to use a pump I'd just fill the main tank with a hose by opening the gas cap and pumping it in normally.
How fast does the pump move fuel and how much power does it use? You could wear the battery down if the bikes off and not to keen on pumping gas while its running.

For me, I'd just carry an extra can I could just pour in.

For long trips I actually carry one or two liter camp stove fuel bottles with gas in them. Takes only a few moments to pour them into the tank if needed, and even easier to not take with me if I don't need them. Aux tanks are bolted down and all the hoses and pumps aren't easy to remove if you're just riding around town....just seems alot of trouble unless you're doing an Iron Butt run....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 07-17-2014 at 08:19 AM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Jack of all trades

Go with what works: gravity fed with a valve.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:08 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Tourtank has the little quick disconnects that you could put into a 'T' off the petcock. I think that would be far simpler and more reliable than a pump. I'm also thinking of an aux tank but a little smaller, I already carry an MSI bottle of fuel good for about 7 miles in an emergency. I only have 110 miles range on the sportster too. I'd love to have about 200 miles at least. Thinking at some point I'm going to just buy a welder and make one to fit slim and vertical on my sissybar at about 2 gallons.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

Last edited by Goofyfoot2001; 07-17-2014 at 01:01 PM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm tossing the fuel pump idea for now (doesn't seem worth it unless doing an IBA run) that being said I LOVE the simple idea of a hand pump (can anyone find a good one and maybe a good way to store it since it DOES keep some fuel inside of it like a hard plastic casing? I hear most hand pumps aren't too hot and leak around the bulb. Also I'm still fiddling around with the idea of running tee's to the carburetor. one to shut off the line to the tank, one to open the line to the aux tank and one to select which to go to, (thus why I'm looking into using the hand pump
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM

..."stretch yer legs ?"....mine are already stretched on Bessie, lol....like ridin a Barcalounger....

her's my opinion of what ya do....you can do gravity easily here.....but first ya need to set it up right....

1) run both lines from the existin petcock into a tee...same with the 2 carb lines (use brass tees)...

2) you need to join the 2 tees with a single line (this ensures balanced fuel flow btw, in case one of the petcock outlets clogs)....

3) midpoint in that line add a THIRD tee, ans run it under the seat, over the fender to your aux tank.....

4) dont open the valve on the aux tank until youre well into the reserve, and before you do, remove and plug the vac line to the petcock (on the engine side)....this should prevent backflow into your std tank...

Option 2 :

There is a vent hose that comes from by the sending unit...you can run it to there, then when main tank is low, pop the cap and fill it.....

Issue, if you dont have a vented cap, you will need to remove the little rubber nipple (he said nipple), at the gas cap so that it can vent thry there instead....

Option 2 will balance out your bike better by shifting the weight....option one will cost more in hardware....

And to balance the heavy weight, ya can always put a vintage heavy fiberglass batwing on the front like I did on mine....

This is just what Id do....and actually, i wouldda gone for a smaller aux tank....if yer by yerself, and lay her over, unless yer a BIG guy, you'll never pick it back up yerself....IMO a 2-2.5 gal aux would give ya an extra 90-110 miles and be more manageable....

...BUT... (aint there always one ?)....theres a guy with a Harley dresser that mounted a beer keg to his bike in roughly the same place (more fwd), to make a record x-country trip.....you can find info on it at motorcyclepedia.com....mebbe you can find his email and write to him to ask his hookup....if ya cant find his contact info, email Ted Doering (Motorcyclepedia curator and originator) and tell him Wolfie from Greenwood Lake sent ya.....

Another thought....change out your petcock to a TW200 that doesnt have the vac line and has an actual OFF position....its also a single outlet, so will save ya one brass tee....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement