Ear Shave --- Air Filter Question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Carbs and Fuel System
From the gas tank to the carbs
All fuel system discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Ear Shave --- Air Filter Question

Doc's Ear-Shave mentioned he got K&N Air Filters RC2340...

I am curious if I could use any universal air filter?
like these: 54MM CHROME AIR FILTER Cone Kawasaki KZ750 900 1100 Motorcycle Bike I AF25

I don't want to spend almost $30 per air filter just yet ... I still need to get some pilot jets and fuel line and some vacuum caps ... plus a few other things to get this bike running again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Ndr

Those look like they could work. Many people on here have used various different filters on here with good results, others with not so good results. The only member that stands out in my mind that went with a cheaper filter that worked good was Wolfie.

I know he has chimed in a few times on different posts on what he used and I think he more then stands behind his choice from what I've read. I don't recall off hand what he used, but I'm sure a quick search on his user name will pull up some of his post no problem.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Thats what I remember reading, I know which ones he got too I believe... its those cylindrical black foam ones.

I'll get those if really absolutely necessary but I don't like how they look... I am going for function after all so if these chrome cone ones don't work too good I'll simply get the black foam ones and skip out on looks. :P

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 AM
2014 KLR 650!

You dont need to rejet for an earshave. As far a kn filters go, they fit. Not just the neck, but under the tank. Keep that in mind. Any airfilter that fits will work.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

the UNI pk-92 works well. they do just touch the bottom of the tank, but a washer or 2 under the back of the tank fixes it.

these are what I am running on my bike.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
You dont need to rejet for an earshave. As far a kn filters go, they fit. Not just the neck, but under the tank. Keep that in mind. Any airfilter that fits will work.
Wish I would have read a bit more before ordering the jets and shims lol! But oh well, it probably needs done anyway and I'll probably be happier with the end result if I do.

If I can work out the kinks in the loud tapping noise I'll have a bike worth every bit of 2 grand.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
My Left side K&N pod presses hard against the tank. When I earshaved and tried my stock 38 pilot jet (it was very clean) I suddenly was running very lean in both cylinders even with the air screw 3 turns out. A size 40 pilot jet fixed the problem with the air screws 2 turns out.

Every bike is a tad different.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 07-15-2014 at 11:03 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer1 View Post
My Left side K&N pod presses hard against the tank. When I earshaved and tried my stock 30 pilot jet (it was very clean) I suddenly was running very lean in both cylinders even with the air screw 3 turns out. A size 40 pilot jet fixed the problem with the air screws 2 turns out.

Every bike is a tad different.
I ran 2.5 turns out with no problems at all and I'm only 600 ft above sea level.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer1 View Post
When I earshaved and tried my stock 30 pilot jet
OEM pilot jet is a #38. If you actually ran a #30 w/#95 pilot air bleed, you would have been dangerously lean.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post
OEM pilot jet is a #38. If you actually ran a #30 w/#95 pilot air bleed, you would have been dangerously lean.
You caught me,,,, typo, I have since changed post to show the 38 pilot jet. thanks for catching that.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement